Need help choosing a name or creating a persona? Here are some resources relating to persona development. Remember, in choosing a name, you need a first name, that everyone will call you, and a second name (family name, byname, placename, patronymic, etc.) to identify you more specifically.
- Jargon or “What do they mean by THAT?”
- What is an SCA Name?
- Choosing a Name & Creating a Persona (start here)
- SCA Persona Worksheet
- SCA Personas
- On Choosing a Name & Persona: A Quick & Dirty Guide
- Who Are You? The Art of Persona Development
- How to Submit Names & Devices
- SENA (Standards for Evaluation of Names and Armory) – the rules for submissions, containing the standards Laurel uses to evaluate all submissions of names and armory for registration
Lists of actual historical names used. These are just a few lists to help you get started. More are available at the Academy of St. Gabriel’s Medieval Names Archive.
- All of Europe
- Dictionary of Medieval Names from European Sources – The Dictionary aims to contain all given names recorded in European sources written between 500 and 1600. Click on a name to learn more.
- Dutch & Belgian
- Eastern European
- Middle Eastern
- Spanish & Iberian Peninsula