January 2006

Present: Viteliano, Vettoria, Kudrun, Ailis, Maewyn, Rhuadhan, Brilliana, Bronislava, Arnora, Alhwin, Valgarth, Ariella

Meeting called to order at 3:05 pm.

Officer’s Reports

Arts and Sciences

  • List was passed around.
  • Semi-annual report was submitted and copied to the Seneschal.

Chronicler

  • Had computer problems as well as a run-over cellphone earlier. Kudrun released a postcard-sized “Not the Birch” filler newsletter.
  • Has not been able to reach Toki regarding the subscriber list, which is likewise preventing the Birch from going out to subscribers.

Exchequer

  • Officer’s funds were topped up.
  • The new $50 fund for the Herald’s office (approved at the Dec. meeting) was created.
  • The Shire’s finances stand as follows:

Account

 

Assets

Bank and Cash Accounts – Spendable Cash $

2,440.38

Arts & Sciences $

50.00

Chiurgeon $

60.00

Copies and Postage $

20.00

Event Reserve $

800.00

Griffin $

45.00

Herald $

50.00

Knight Marshall $

40.00

Minister of Youth $

30.00

Non-member Surcharge $

90.00

Rapier $

54.56

White Birch $

170.23

Total Assets: $

3,850.17

Herald

  • Domesday has been submitted.
  • Found several promising books on Amazon.com, but wasn’t certain that she could return them if they weren’t as useful as they looked because there is no paper sales receipt. Various gentles suggested that the email confirmation and/or packing slip should suffice.

Rapier Marshal

  • Alhwin met a possibly returning SCA member while at the last Coille Stormeille practice in Wilton. Hopefully more to follow.
  • The next practice at Wilton will be February 28th. Contact Alhwin if you are interested in sharing the trip.

Seneschal

  • Coille Stormeille is looking for someone to provide lunch for their That Moot Thingy, but this is two weeks before Tournament of Champions. No real enthusiasm for committing shown from Rokeclif, so the idea was tabled.
  • Shattered Oak will host a SUN (Stellar University of Northshield) event in May. The seneshal strongly recommends this event, as an opportunity for Shire members to teach what they know or learn something new. Also the event is close (Augusta, WI) compared to other Northshield events. Bronislava pointed out that SUNs are good events for newer members because they allow you to “dabble” in a wide variety of crafts/activities.

Thrown Weapons

  • No practices arranged, although the weather has been unseasonably amiable. Maewyn joked that if you know of an ex’s wedding, let him know, and he’ll schedule a practice to guarantee rain for that day. Vettoria pointed out that traditionally rain on one’s wedding day guaranteed wealth, and the offer was duly retracted.

Webminister

  • Just a reminder to anyone who has content for the Tournament of Champions website right now to kindly submit it before Monday, Jan. 23rd (i.e. the start of the Spring Semester).

New Business

Tournament of Champions

  • The Sacred Heart site in La Crosse has been pretty much ruled out. Tournament of Champions will be held in Taylor, and we will have access to additional rooms.
  • A field trip to a kitchen supply store in Rochester is planned because we can buy serving feastgear for less than retail. Arnora already has a list of what’s needed. Maewyn plans on taking his van, which can accommodate a number of people. The trip is tentatively scheduled for a Saturday after the “practice feast” to be held after the February populace meeting.
  • Alhwin may be able to obtain oak cutting boards (“I know a guy” The guy is his brother) for free. Alhwin was authorized to obtain up to six.
  • We are currently planning on 50 for feast; however, if we receive 40 pre-registrations by the week of the event, we can up that to 80, assuming that Maewyn is comfortable with the staffing.
  • Maewyn gave a quick rundown of the feast menu that was hashed out during last month’s meeting of the major players. Their Highnesses have already been contacted regarding food allergies, which they apparently don’t have. Maewyn and Ariella will publish the menu and ingredients list on the event website.
  • Aine has done work for the list and finding marshals. We will need to borrow marshals because our own group Knight Marshal (Giles) is Autocrat.
  • Gavin has agreed to be Chiurgeon for the event.
  • No site token idea decided on, although ideas were bandied about.
  • Arnora has volunteered to coordinate the volunteer signup on site.
  • Arnora also volunteered to make the sashes for the event staff. Per Vettoria’s suggestion, she will use green felt so that no sewing should be involved, and badges can be attached with velcro.
  • We will attempt to find another group to serve lunch at the event. Failing that, we will serve sub sandwiches. (Webminister’s Note: There was no indication of who, if anyone, agreed to contact the other parties. Please contact Ariella to update this information.)
  • Alhwin proposed holding a meeting of the principal event staff (Autocrat, feastocrat/server coordinator, volunteer coordinator, etc.) to create a checklist for the event, including setup and takedown.
  • Vitaliano offered to organize youth activities if we need them.
  • Site fee will be set at $5, which includes the $1 Kingdom Fund tax. Feast is set at $8 for pre-registered gentles; $10 the day of the event. (Children’s feast fee is half; infants free.)

Other New Business

  • The main branch of the La Crosse Public Library will be a “default” meeting site, at least when the weather is too cold to meet in a park or we don’t need special facilities, such as the traditional December potluck or for non-meeting activities such as moots. (Note: Next month’s meeting will be part of the moot held at Maewyn’s house.)
  • Bronislava proposed that we make the Shire’s motto “We know a guy.” in honor of Alhwin and Vitaliano’s running joke from the December and January meetings. No formal motion was made or vote taken.

Meeting adjourned at 4:27 pm.

Credits: Exchequer details provided by Vettoria Soranzo. Thanks to Vitaliano (formerly called Shane) and Vettoria for the homemade caraway-seasoned pretzels that they shared with the populace.

___________________________________

February 2006

Present: Vitaliano, Vettoria, Kudrun, Maewyn, Maewyn’s Lady Wife, Maewyn’s niece, Bronislava, Arnora, Alhwin, Valgarth

Meeting called to order by Alhwin at approximately 3:10 pm.

Officer’s Reports

Arts and Sciences

  • List was passed around.
  • Valgarth is not a warranted A & S officer yet, but isn’t too concerned about the paperwork.
  • A & S night is at Valgarth and Ariella’s house this coming Thursday (Feb. 23rd).

Chatelaine

  • Report is due March 15th.
  • There is a demo scheduled for Saturday, Feb. 25th, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. We have been asked to provide ambiance. Currently Rokeclif has six people who plan to go. Contact Arnora for details.

Chronicler

  • A new White Birch currently in print.

Exchequer

  • The Shire’s finances stand as follows:

Account

 

Assets

Bank and Cash Accounts – Spendable Cash $

2,400.32

Arts & Sciences $

50.00

Chiurgeon $

60.00

Copies and Postage $

20.00

Event Reserve $

800.00

Griffin $

45.00

Herald $

50.00

Knight Marshall $

40.00

Minister of Youth $

30.00

Non-member Surcharge $

90.00

Rapier $

54.56

White Birch $

170.23

Total Assets: $

3,810.11

Rapier Marshal

  • Rapier practice will be held in Wilton. Contact Alhwin for details.
  • Nordleigh is selling their list ropes. By general consensus, Alhwin was authorized to buy them if they are in good condition and not expensive.
  • Nordskogen has agreed to provide the list ropes for Tournament of Champions.

Seneschal

  • There is now a form we must fill out and submit to the Kingdom Seneschal within a week of hosting an event. It includes things like receipts, attendance, etc.
  • Cybele’s barn burned down on Sat. (Feb. 18th).

Thrown Weapons

  • In the kitchen, preparing samples of the Tournament of Champions feast menu

Webminister

  • (Report by Proxy):  Base pages are up for Tournament of Champions.
  • Northshield/SCA webminister’s policy requires written permission from anyone who is a contact for the event, before than information can be published on the website. (Email counts as “written permission”.) Please contact Ariella to specify what information should be published.

New Business

Tournament of Champions

  • With Giles’ departure to Atenveldt, Kudrun is Autocrat.
  • Setup will take place the night before the event (March 31st).
  • We will open rooms on an as-needed basis.
  • The Royalty Room will be locked, so we will have no need for guards.
  • Their Highnesses requested that any obviously mundane items behind Their presence area be covered, if possible.
  • There is no deadline to sign up for any of the tournaments–i.e. people can register the day of the event.
  • A person can only compete in one tournament.
  • Their Highnesses prefer feast to be held after Court, which will only be to announce Their Champions and to award any scrolls that Their Majesties may send.
  • There are as yet no set formats for the fighting tournaments.
  • Anyone interested in being part of the Royal Retinue for the event (particularly newcomers) should contact Kudrun.
  • Valgarth is buying walkie-talkies for the event.
  • It would be a Good Thing to put the volunteer lists on the Rokeclif website.

Webminister’s note: Like anything, I can’t make this stuff up out of thin air. Whomevever needs volunteers for their activities needs to tell me how many people are needed, and when and where, and for how long. Thanks.

Other New Business

  • Gavin is moving back to Rokeclif.

Meeting adjourned at approximately 4:50 pm., followed by taste-testing the proposed feast menu for Tournament of Champions, prepared by Maewyn.

Credits: Exchequer details provided by Vettoria Soranzo. Thanks to Valgarth for taking notes.

__________________________________

March 2006

Present: Brilliana, Arnora, Ailis, Bronislava and chocolate goo to die for, Vettoria, Kudrun, Gavin, Valgarth, Maewyn, Ruadhan

Officer reports

The usual suspects mostly rounded up. No substantial reports. Vettoria reported on The Shopping Trip, where we spent over $700 on trays, bowls, and spoons for feasts–enough to serve 80 without scrimping or borrowing.

New business

Tournament of Champions

  • We will meet at Taylor on Friday, March 31.
  • Kudrun will be there from 9 a.m. on, but others may arrive at their leisure.
  • Shire members may stay overnight if they wish.
  • Rides were arranged.
  • Arnora will pick up some cleaning supplies that Taylor doesn’t have (clean toilet brushes) and dish soap.
  • Two people have asked for kitchen space for A&S projects.
  • Post Office was closed so we couldn’t look for preregistrations prior to the meeting.
  • Bronislava’s Mom will be recruited for head table decor.
  • Arnora has a feast chart.
  • Ailis will get deli goodies for royals as well as oranges etc for waterbearing.
  • A portrait board with pics of who should be asked about what will be made on site, when we’re in garb. (Arnora).
  • Bronislava gave a short course in aiding and guarding royalty.
  • Gavin is refitting his kit.
  • Maewyn will be cooking for 50 unless we get some preregistrations.
  • Kudrun gave directions to site.

Autumn Rose

  • Now on the Northshield Calendar.
  • That’s enough until Tournament of Champions is done.

Other New Business

  • The seneschals of Rokeclif and Rockwall were somehow allowed to converse at TMT, and renewed the possibility of an event called “Between a Rock and a Hard Place” which would forever clear up the confusion people have telling Rockwall, Rokeclif and Rockhaven apart.
  • It would be an event on the silliness scale around that of Pie Snit.
  • The group brainstormed bardic challenges (rock music) and special guests (The Rock).
  • Time: June 2007. Place: Wilton.

Credits: Many thanks to Kudrun for taking notes.

________________________________________

April 2006

Present: Kudrun, Arnora, Bronislava, Maewyn, Ailis, Valgarth, Vettoria, Brilliana, Ahlwin, Ariella

Meeting called to order at 3:04 p.m.

Officer reports

Exchequer

  • We broke even or at least made a few dollars on Tournament of Champions.
  • Those present voted to donate $50.00 as an honorarium for the janitor at the ToC site who had to remove the scuff marks on the gymnasium floor by hand because the facility does not have a zamboni. We will send it to her with an illuminated/calligraphed thank-you note as soon as humanly possible.
  • New signature cards are being issued, and Vettoria collected signatures.
  • Financial picture as follows:
Account Assets Total
Bank and Cash Accounts    
Spendable Cash $

1,618.69

Arts & Science $

50.00

Chiurgeon $

60.00

Copies & Postage $

0.00

Event Reserve $

750.00

Griffin $

45.00

Herald $

50.00

Knight Marshall $

40.00

Minister of Youth $

30.00

Non-Member Surcharge $

90.00

Rapier $

54.56

White Birch $

170.23

Total Bank and Cash Accounts $

2,958.48


Total Assets $

2,958.4800


Net Worth $

2,958.4800

Arts and Sciences

  • List was passed around.
  • A & S nights every second and fourth Thursday of the month at Valgarth and Ariella’s house.
  • Kudrun will be teaching a class on food at SUN.

Chatelaine

  • Arnora has signed up for chatelaine work at WW.

Chatelaine

  • Arnora should have the Chronicler’s box soon.
  • Birches are quarterly, and the next one will be coming out at the end of the month.
  • Subscriptions have started fresh due to the change from quarterly to monthly editions.

Herald

  • Brilliana has a new heraldry book.
  • She didn’t have to do anything Heraldy for Toc b/c the Prince and Princess supplied their own person for Court duty.

Seneschal

  • Passed around fliers for Mermaid’s Retreat event.
  • With gas prices spiking, carpooling is encouraged.
  • Arnora has two seats available for the trip to Crown.

Webminister

  • Based on an idea from Viscountess Elashava (and the positive response to the photo-posting at ToC), Ariella plans to take photos of the (consenting) Autumn Rose staffers on the A.R. website so that attendees will have some idea of what the Autocrat, Steward, Head of Security, et. al. look like.
  • Those staff who want their photos posted online are asked to wear garb for the May Shire meeting, and photos will be taken then.

New business

Tournament of Champions Post-mortem

  • Turnout for Tournament of Champions was just about perfect–enough so that we didn’t lose money on the deal; not so many that the site couldn’t hold them all.
  • Reports and the checks were sent from the site the day of the event.

General

  • Note regarding May’s Shire meeting: This year we are breaking tradition and not holding the meeting in Coon Valley. The May 21st Shire meeting will be in Copeland Park. Garb is encouraged.
  • Official heavy-weapons practice has not been happening due to a lack of a Knight Marshall. Some folks have been attending Coille Stormeil fighting practices in Wilton.
  • Arnora has inherited Giles’ shield and hopes to have her armor completed by WW.
  • Maewyn is getting his armor back together, and Toki has dropped off some odds and ends of armor. Valgarth will look into rehabilitating those for group use.

Autumn Rose

  • Bronislava and Ahlwin will be meeting to start planning soon.
  • Arnora wants to do Feast again.
  • Debate over whether to make the site available for the public demo again this year. Ultimately it was decided to continue the tradition, based on the following considerations:
    • Local public will likely just show up anyway b/c we’ve been doing it for so many years.
    • T-Bones and “The Milkshake Ladies” will likely not be so willing to come if their possible client base shrinks by 100-200 people.
  • That being said, the decision was made to not leaflet heavily. We will rely mainly on the press release, word of mouth, and probably postings at the libraries.
  • We will plan to invite the Pyxis campers and put them in a prominent location.
  • There was some debate over how and whether to “incentivize” the Royals’ attendance. We cannot make an direct donations or offset their expenses, save via the Kingdom’s travel fund. Some discussion of “stunt royalty” for the event if necessary, which we’ve done before.
  • Maewyn has leftover ingredients (spices, riceflour, etc.), which he would like to donate to the group’s kitchen. Generally agreed that this was a good ide.
  • Valgarth bought walkie-talkies, so we don’t have to borrow.
  • Everyone is encouraged to think about site token designs.

Quote of the Meeting

Hey, if you can carry your brain in your hand, that’s pretty cool. – Arnora

Meeting adjourned at approx. 4:30

_____________________________________

May 2006

Present: Kudrun, Arnora, Ahlwin, Bronislava, Ailis, Gavin, Rhuadhan, Valgarth, Vettoria, Vitalliano, “Josh for now”, “Paul”, “Kat”

Meeting “oyezed” to order and introductions were made.

Officer reports

Exchequer

  • Since 10 x 20 shade pavlions are on sale at Menard’s (and we know a guy), Bronislava moved (seconded by Vettoria) to buy two.
  • Before the meeting, Vettoria had asked
  • Financial picture as follows:
Account Assets Total
Bank and Cash Accounts    
Spendable Cash $

1,607.71

Arts & Science $

50.00

Chiurgeon $

60.00

Copies & Postage $

0.00

Event Reserve $

800.00

Griffin $

45.00

Herald $

50.00

Knight Marshall $

40.00

Minister of Youth $

30.00

Non-Member Surcharge $

90.00

Rapier $

54.56

White Birch $

170.23

Total Bank and Cash Accounts $

2,997.50


Total Assets $

2,997.50


Net Worth $

2,997.50

Arts and Sciences

  • List was passed around.
  • Toki and Valgarth attened the lecture on Viking swords at Norskedalen.

Chatelaine

  • Conversed with three new folks from MacGregor, who attended the meeting.
  • Met with the Barony of Jaravellir’s Chatelaine, who offered some great tips on recruiting in the college community.

Chiurgeon

  • The Kingdom Chiurgeon was at our Tournament of Champions event when the child fell off the slide. She recommended that the Shire have air splints.
  • On the strength of that recommendation, Gavin purchased a full set of air splits for $122.47, overspending his budget. Those present voted to reimburse him.

Chronicler

  • Will have a new Birch when her computer cooperates, and the living situation shakes out. [Insert joke about the cardboard box in the alley not having Wi-Fi...]

Marshal of Fence

  • Practice will be held every other Sunday and Tuesday evenings at 5:30 Myrick Park.
  • The list field is ready to go.

New business

Autumn Rose

  • Bronislava and Ahlwin have discussed what’s involved in autocratting.
  • Ahlwin is working with Patricia for A.R.
  • The feast will be Middle Eastern, including shish kebobs and veggies.

Other business

  • Because a Shire can’t Laurel anyone, especially for something non-period, Bronislava was made a Member of the (entirely fictious) Order of the Bay Leaf for coffee.
  • Webminister’s persnickety note: Coffee was part of Arabic culture from roughly the 9th century C.E. onward–initially medicinally, but eventually recreationally. Alas for European personas, it was not until the 1600s that coffeehouses started to spring up, first in trading centers like London, Venice and Marseilles, then inland in Vienna and Paris. Cafe au lait was not known until the late 17th century and espresso had to wait until after Napoleon’s time.

__________________________________________

June 2006

Present: Gavin, Brilliana, Vitaliano, Vettoria, Kudrun, Maewyn, Valgarth, Ahlwin, Ariella

Meeting “oyezed” to order at 2:57 pm.

Officer reports

Arts & Sciences

  • Good turnout at last week’s A&S night, including the folks from MacGregor, IA.
  • Another general “bring something to work on” A&ampS night coming up this Thursday (June 22nd).
  • We may do “theme” A&S moots once in awhile.

Chiurgeon

  • Will be assisting with the Chiurgeonate at Warlords and Warriors next month.

Exchequer

  • Checks written for shade canopies, misc. other Shire purchases, and receipts were handed in for other items.
  • Vettoria asks that folks with receipts email her before the meeting so that she can print checks straight from the account, rather than doing things manually.
  • Financial picture as follows:
Account Assets Total
Bank and Cash Accounts    
Spendable Cash $

1,485.24

Arts & Science $

50.00

Chiurgeon $

60.00

Copies & Postage $

0.00

Event Reserve $

800.00

Griffin $

45.00

Herald $

50.00

Knight Marshall $

40.00

Minister of Youth $

30.00

Non-Member Surcharge $

90.00

Rapier $

22.90

White Birch $

170.23

Total Bank and Cash Accounts $

2,997.50


Total Assets $

2,843.37


Net Worth $

2,843.37

Herald

  • Helped Maweyn work on getting his name passable.
  • Contacted the higher-ups regarding the passability of her own name and device, and things are looking pretty good on that front.

Marshal of Fence

  • Practice will be held every other Sunday and Tuesday evenings at 5:30 Myrick Park.
  • The list field is ready to go.

Thrown Weapons Marshal

  • Practice last Thursday night went well. It did rain (per usual), but only during dinner. (Joke about outsmarting the weather.)
  • Due to Warlords and Warriors event opening the same weekend as the first July TW practice, the next practice will be held on the fifth Thursday in June (the 29th).
  • Their Majesties have decided to choose Their thrown weapons Champion at Warlords and Warriors (WW).
  • Maewyn is running the thrown weapons event at WW. If anyone is interested, the next thrown weapons practice can be used to prep for that competition.
  • Valgarth asked whether anyone knows of an archery practice site in the vicinity that doesn’t charge admission. Trempeleau County Fairgrounds is an option, provided that no one else is using that section of the grounds at the time. (Joke about firing a few flaming arrows over their heads to convice them to leave the area to us.) Ahlwin’s land is a possiblity. Ahlwin will talk to his sister (whose land is more suitable) and follow up offline.

Webminister

  • Quarterly report (due July 1st) will be submitted in the next couple of days.

New business

Autumn Rose

  • Ahlwin received an email from Drayson, who wants to blacksmith, provided that his demonstrations will not be overlapping with someone else’s. This probably won’t even be an issue, as we don’t have confirmation from the blacksmith who often works at A.R.
  • There was a long discussion of whether or not to authorize a donation to the Kingdom, which included some of the following points:
    • The Kingdom was reportedly in the red last year.
    • The initial amount proposed ($500) would be equal to that donated by baronies. This would look very good, and possibly encourage more donations.
    • The Shire does have fixed expenses (storage space, web hosting, P.O. Box, etc.) of around $400 annually. If we had a couple money-losing events in a row, it could make it difficult to fund an event without the funds that are usually due up front.
    • In addition to the possibility of money losing events, we need to keep in mind the possibility of unforseen cuts into our funds (e.g. the Trempeleau Fairgrounds increasing their rates, or the loss of the Taylor Community Center’s availability for events.)
    • It might be a good idea to base donation on A.R. receipts. rather than to set an arbitrary donation now.
    • More discussion will follow at July and possibly August meetings.
  • Their Highnesses will attend A.R.; Ahlwin will do double-duty as both Autocrat and Royalty Liason.
  • Bronislava is contacting Lord Lyulf of Silfren Mere to ask him to Marshal heavy fighting; Alhwin is contacting Lord Janvier to ask him to do the same for rapier.
  • Brilliana suggested that the A.R. site token be a square of leather on a leather thong. [insert evil chuckles all around, followed by "Not THAT kind of thong!!" from Brilliana.] Okay, they’re officially called “lacings” from here on out… Stamped pattern on the square would be preferable to burned-in ones b/c burning leather smells awful. Beads and or ribbon could be used to distinguish site vs. feast. Brilliana was authorized to “research” further, presumably at Hobby Lobby.
  • Gavin agreed to be the Toilet Paper Czar for the event, making sure that the bathrooms are adequately stocked.
  • We need someone for garbage detail, particularly in the mornings and before and after Feast.
  • Gavin reminded everyone that he is camping in the Chiurgeon’s building as always. So we shouldn’t have any excuse for not finding him for middle of the night emergencies.
  • Vettoria volunteered to be Volunteer Coordinator.
  • Radios will go to the Autocrats, Feastocrat, by the Equestrian area, to Security, Chiurgeon, and the Volunteer Coordinator.
  • Ahlwin was fairly certain that Arnora has not contacted the Lions regarding renting their kitchen. Arnora and Vettoria need to square this away soon so that the Lions have their deposit on the building.
  • Camping will be divided into “Early Bird” and “Night Owl” sections. Vittellio suggested the spray paint made for grass that would be useful for marking off other areas as well, and will wash out in the next rain. Signage will also be needed.
  • Brilliana proposed the idea of a portable firepit for the ambiance of a Bardic Circle. Open flames prohibited under the rafters, but the seating of the sand pit might function just fine. Will check out the area for dangerous bits left over from the car derbies. Tiki torches might also be a good idea.
  • Bronislava is contacting performers. T-Bones has not been lined up to provide lunch yet.
  • The raffle license may still be valid, as it arrived late last year. Merchant donation will still be a raffle item. Shire members are encouraged to donate something besides books, as there was an overabundance of them last year.
  • It is unknown at this point whether Amie and Dave are still planning to head up Security. Since Rhuadhan was good enough to take care of it for Tournament of Champions, the Autocrats will enquire as to whether he wishes to further hone his skills at A.R.
  • Bronislava will be the merchant contact again this year, and will also run Troll.
  • As yet, the manure-spreader for the Equestrian area has not been lined up. Ditto hay bales. We may be able to borrow a power-washer from Ahlwin’s brother.
  • Wed. night before the event is for site cleanup. Thursday night is for further cleanup. The site will be open to Shire members only during these times.

Other business

  • Sunday, July 16th, doesn’t work for the schedules of a number of Shire members. Also, the Trempeleau County Fair’s last day is the 23rd. So by general consensus, meeting date was moved to the 23rd so that we can leaflet for Autumn Rose and patronize the milkshake stand. Meet at 1pm in garb under the tree in front of the blue building. Actual meeting to be held at Kudrun’s house Bring something to throw on the grill and/or a dish to pass.
  • Arnora was not present, but Ahlwin reported tht she has concluded that she cannot keep up with producing The White Birch, and would prefer to pass that on to someone else.
  • It was pointed out that some members prefer a paper-based version of the newsletter.
  • Ariella volunteered to take over the job, on the grounds that things like the meeting minutes and officers list were usually copied straight out of the online version anyhow. Those present voted to transition the office, with one nay vote.

Meeting was called to a close at 4:40 p.m.

_________________________________________

July 2006

Present: Kudrun, Gavin, Bronislava, Ahlwin, Arnora, Amata, Maewyn

Officer Reports

Chatelaine

  • Worked as a Chatelaine at the Warriors and Warlords event (“WW”); greeted people and talked with new people about the SCA, helped them their way around the site.
  • Took care of new members whenever she saw them at WW.

Chiurgeon

  • Didn’t have anything to report–which is typically A Good Thing.
  • Was not able to attend WW to assist Margalit Medicus as previously planned.

Herald (by Deputy)

  • William Chapman is working on getting his name submitted.
  • Gavin’s name and device are both officially registered. [Insert applause.] He’s still not certain about pronunciation. It’s an older form of “Guinness”.

Rapier Marshal

  • Not having much turnout at Sunday practices.
  • This being the busy season (SCA and family events), he is thinking of suspending Sunday practices until September. The weather should be decent enough then, probably extending into October.
  • Nevertheless, there is an evening practice scheduled for the next Tuesday at Myrick Park, starting at 5:30, possibly later, but no later than six.
  • Barring a conflicting work schedule, Ahlwin will try to hold regular Tuesday evening practices.
  • Practices can also be social hours or A∓S events. There is plenty of table space.
  • In case of rain, practice will be held in the Copeland Park shelters.

Seneschal

  • Northshield Officer’s Day will be held in Brookings, SD on Sept. 30th. (This conflict’s with Siege the Day).
  • For those officers planning to attend, Kudrun is going. Talk to her if interested in sharing driving costs.

Webminister (by proxy)

  • Joke about the Webminister looking just like the Chronicler (“a little black box”), as the meeting was being recorded in the absence of the Webminister/Chronicler.
  • Ahlwin and Ariella worked on the web site at the last A&S night. Received a link to the first draft by email, but Bronislava said that the link just went to the main Rokeclif web page when she clicked it.
  • Will figure out what went wrong and have it up shortly–”It’s a work in progress,” quoth Ahlwin.

New Business

Autumn Rose

  • Kudrun has found people interested in doing archery for Autumn Rose.
  • Amata and William will be handling security.
  • Exchequer hadn’t arrived at this point, but we do need to have three checks written: One for the storage shed, one for the A.R. campground and one for the Lion’s Club (kitchen).
  • T-Bones agreed to serve lunch last year. He’s in the phone book. Bronislava will call him to confirm, and Brilliana will also remind him.
  • Bronislava is also confirming that the Caffeine Addict’s Guild will offer breakfast for sale on Saturday morning.
  • Bronislava talked to Morgan at the Tournament of Champions event about serving biscuits and gravy for A.R. She told him to just assume that Sunday morning was his.
  • Lord Lyulf of Silfren Mere has committed to marshalling heavy weapons fighting for us.
  • Lord Janvier has agreed to marshal rapier for us; Ahlwin will double-check with him to verify that no schedule conflicts have arisen.
  • No definite word on whether the children’s boffer, rapier and archery have anyone to run those events. Bronislava will re-contact Lady Charissa. Ahlwin said that someone was supposed to email him. Bronislava pointed out that we could call for volunteers the Northshield List. Ahlwin will contact the lady who heads up youth rapier.
  • Kudrun pointed out that often the youth archery consists of younger folks shooting alongside adults, with shorter ranges if needed.
  • Arnora will need six servers, counting the Head Table server (traditionally Brilliana). Arnora needs them there 30 minutes beforehand, so a 2.5 hour time commitment is involved.
  • Ahlwin will contact Their Highnesses’ Chamberlain to determine when They want to hold Court.
  • The Sahara Desert Dancers will only be performing if one of the merchants hires them, as he sometimes does.
  • We will ask for dish washing volunteers during Feast, but we do need to have someone who knows where stuff goes. Amata asked what anyone needs to know; Bronislava said that they could go over it Friday night. Maewyn raised his hand, pointing out that Arnora had taken charge of the cleanup at Tournament of Champions, so he would return the favor.
  • Whether Feast will be held before or after Court is currently at the discretion of Their Highnesses.
  • We do currently have anyone lined up to run A&S or the raffle. If we don’t have a raffle, we will have to charge a surcharge. The decision was made to ask some of our newer members to run these, because that can be arranged ahead of time.
  • Discussion of Feast servers. We will probably have more than enough, but we may have a need for one or more people to dish out food for the servers to take to the table.
  • Someone to organize/direct the servers keeps things running smoothly. Having a printed menu on each table is also a very good idea.
  • Kudrun will again make stone soup for Porter on Friday night. Shire members are encouraged to bring other contributions. We did that last year, and that worked out really well. Breads are encouraged.
  • The Autocrats will contact the Equestrian folks to determine whether or not they want to post a schedule. We do have a manure spreader lined up.
  • The bit about classes on the Northshield web page is an automatic addition. Ahlwin will make sure that this is removed.
  • The Turkish coffeehouse that was at WW may be at A.R.
  • We will again debate the issue of making a donation to the Kingdom during the August meeting. Discussion of how much buffer in the accounts is sufficient.
  • Bronislava noted that Ailis will not be at Autumn Rose b/c of school, so she won’t be available for us to ask her to head up waterbearing. We can dispense with official water bearers, but we do need someone to check the coolers to make sure that they do have water. Archers and Equestrians normally look after themselves. But we will to hit up local help, including newer folks.
  • Gavin also need someone to buy and carry ice. Amata will carry one of the walkie-talkies so that Gavin can call for more ice when needed.
  • Ahlwin will draft one set of announcements for Brilliana.
  • The Equestrian end of the Great Hall will be the “quiet zone”. The further you get from there, the more staying up late and talking will be tolerated. Part of Porter’s job is to inform people of that policy.

Pie Snit II: “Custard’s Revenge”

  • It will be about pie.
  • Explanation of what the first Pie Snit involved, for the benefit of newer folks.
  • Kudrun has talked a bit with Shattered Oak, and we’re shooting for November of this year.
  • The Shire’s mission (apart from gearing up for Autumn Rose, of course), is to think of pie-related activities.
  • Debate over “cheesecake” being a misnomer. More research needed to determine whether it should be more accurately classified as a pie.

“Between a Rock and a Hard Place” Event

  • Kudrun talked to folks from Rockwall at the That Moot Thingy event.
  • The idea is to hold in in Coille Stormeil and also invite folks from Rockhaven.
  • Joke about inviting The Rock. Bronislava wants to be his official liaison, pointing out that at Buffalo Snit we had an official liaison to Antonio Banderas (b/c we were drawing buffalo on the walls a la “The Thirteenth Warrior”.)
  • Shooting for next June, avoiding Castle Fever and well before Warriors and Warlords.

Other Business

  • The next meeting is scheduled for August 20th at 4 p.m. at the Fairgrounds. (Archery will be held ahead of time at 3 p.m.) We will do a walkthrough inspection of the grounds to hopefully avoid rude surprises for event setup.

_______________________________________

August 2006

Present: Kudrun, Gavin, Bronislava, Alhwin, Arnora, Maewyn, Alhwin, Valgarth, Brighid, Vettoria, Vitaliano, Ariella, and guests

The meeting was called to order at 4:24 p.m.

Officer Reports

Chatelaine

  • Already contacting people at UW-L to recruit new members from the student population.
  • Talked to Lady Alienor of Jaravellir for ideas regarding how to interest college students in the SCA.
  • Those present introduced themselves for the benefit of the guests.

Arts and Sciences

  • The list was passed around.
  • Valgarth and Ariella will not be able to host A & S Night at their house during the month of September; others are more than free to volunteer their space for that purpose.

Chiurgeon

  • Passed out a band-aid prior to the meeting.
  • Will be making a shopping trip to top up his kit for Autumn Rose. He mainly needs cold packs and wraps.
  • We will not be putting out wasp traps in the vicinity of people at this year’s Autumn Rose (unlike last year’s event).

Chronicler

  • Any Shire member who is not currently receiving a copy of The White Birch should contact Ariella at chronicler(at)rokeclif(dot)org.
  • Valgarth’s employer is kindly allowing us to use their printer in exchange for a ream of paper each run. Do we have any Shire awards for non-Shire members which would be appropriate? [Issue bogged down into a discussion of what other groups do, but no one knew of any Shire awards.]
  • Please call or email Ariella with any additions to the Sept. issue (particularly calendar items) no later than this coming Friday (August 25th), as the Birch is slated for printing and mailing this weekend (Saturday the 26th).

Exchequer

Account Assets Total
Bank and Cash Accounts    
Spendable Cash $

617.19

Arts & Science $

50.00

Chiurgeon $

60.00

Copies & Postage $

0.00

Event Reserve $

800.00

Griffin $

45.00

Herald $

50.00

Knight Marshall $

40.00

Minister of Youth $

30.00

Non-Member Surcharge $

90.00

Rapier $

22.90

White Birch $

170.23

Total Bank and Cash Accounts $

1,358.13


Total Assets $

1,975.32


Net Worth $

1,975.32

Rapier Marshal

  • Practice was held last Tuesday night, and there was actually practice.
  • The practice scheduled for this Tuesday is still on for six p.m. at Myrick part, with the shelter at Copeland Park as the rain site.

Thrown Weapons Marshal

  • Practices will resume in September on alternating Thursdays (currently confirming which Thursdays with Mrs. Thrown Weapons Marshal, a.k.a. Kat.).
  • Offered to host Arts and Sciences meetings concurrently with Thrown Weapons practice (also to be confirmed with his Lady Wife).

New Business

Autumn Rose

  • A dessert-making (and, of course tasting!) is scheduled this coming Saturday (August 26th) at Arnora’s house. Bread-making will also be done. Folks are welcome to bring A & S stuff to work on, but help with dessert-making is expected. Festivities to kick off at 1 p.m.
  • Site tokens have nearly been finished by Alhwin, who ran out of white ribbon just a little short of the final few.
  • Bronislava reported that she is getting some responses from merchants. They will be in located in the small animals exhibit building, per usual.
  • The raffle cannot be held by the Shire to offset the non-member surcharge, per the official SCA regulations. An individual could hold a raffle (and then donate the proceeds), but the individual would have to have a raffle license. We will instead have to change the format to a silent auction. Silent auction will close at 3 p.m. and the highest bidder must claim her/his prize no later than 4 p.m. A minimum bid can be specified by the donor.
  • The porter (Bronislava) needs to have the cashbox and other items ready to roll when she arrives.
  • The “SCA” signs from previous years are too shabby to re-use. Alhwin will bring sign-making material to the dessert-making moot on Saturday after he finishes work around 5 p.m.
  • Kudrun will pretty up her existing sitemap for Porter.
  • Shade flies should be set up Friday night. Alhwin will check with Lord Janvier (who brought one last year) to see whether he’d be willing to do so again this year.
  • Bronislava hasn’t received many confirmations from performers, particularly with respect to times of performance. Performance times will be nailed down when the performers who have committed check in at Troll, and a schedule will be compiled there. Performance times will be posted and announced thereafter.
  • Alhwin confirmed that Drason will be blacksmithing, and will have a prime location for visibility.
  • Youth boffer will have authorizations starting at 9 a.m. Fighting will run from 10 – 12, with any afternoon sparring subject to the availability of marshals and participants.
  • Archery will begin at 11 a.m.
  • Cleaning will start Wednesday night, between 6:30 and 7 p.m. Wednesday night will be mainly devoted to power-washing the merchants’ building, and sweeping/setting up the feast hall.
  • The remaining site cleaning and setup will begin between 6:30 and 7 p.m. on Thursday.
  • The Fairground will provide toilet paper, paper towels, and handsoap.
  • The volunteer checklist will be maintained at Porter.
  • Arnora will need feast-prep volunteers in two-hours shifts, starting at 10 a.m. and running up until Feast, which will be held after Court, probably in the 7 p.m. time-frame.
  • Court will begin at 6 p.m.
  • There has been no word on whether or not the equestrian folks will attend.
  • The assembled Populace revived the debate of making a donation to the Northshield Kingdom Fund, which is currently running in the red. After a walkthrough (courtesy of Vettoria) of the Shire’s fixed expenses, it was agreed that Rokeclif would make a donation at Autumn Rose.
  • Those present voted to authorize a donation on the following formula:
    • The minimum donation will be $250.
    • If more than 150 people attend Autumn Rose, then we will donate an additional $1 per each person registered (including the 150 threshold), up to a maximum of $500.
  • Arnora reported that after the trial run of the Feast menu (which was very tasty), that she and Byle will have to make some substitutions to keep the costs down.
  • Morgan has agreed to again provide the traditional biscuits and gravy breakfast, funded by donations.
  • The Caffeine Addicts’ Guild has not indicated whether they will offer breakfast for sale on Saturday morning. Alhwin will contact the Turkish coffeehouse proprietors from WW as an alternative.
  • The representative from the Fair Board did not arrive, so there was no site walkthrough.

Pie Snit II: “Custard’s Revenge”

  • The event is now on the Northshield Calendar for November 18th.
  • Website work has been started.

The meeting was adjourned at 5:46 p.m.

Quote of the Meeting

I‘ll need help if I get covered in hot honey. – Arnora

____________________________________

September 2006

Present: Kudrun, Gavin, Bronislava, Brilliana, Alhwin, Arnora, Maewyn, Valgarth, Brighid, Vettoria, Vitaliano, Ariella

The meeting was called to order at approximately 3 p.m. on 17 September 2006

Officer Reports

Arts and Sciences

  • The list was passed around.
  • The quarterly report was sent in on time.
  • A brief recap of the “research” done while on vacation in D.C., including the National Gallery of Art and seeing a 13th Century re-issue of the Magna Carta (used to keep the financially and militarily over-extended Edward Longshanks in line–much the original issue had done with his grandfather King John).

Chatelaine

  • Discovered that she had been misinformed regarding who she was supposed to talk to about setting up the SCA as a student group. After talking with Aine, she has that straightened out now.
  • Has washed and sorted through the loaner garb and determine what can be salvaged. Proposed making the garb necessary (e.g. pants to match a man’s tunic) so that we have one set of decent loaner garb in each size. A combination of A & S Nights as well as a moot for garb-making would break up the amount of work needed. If anyone has any cloth that they wish to donate to the cause, this would also help immensely.
  • Is making posters for the UW-La Crosse boards–will post ideas to the Yahoo! group.

Chiurgeon

  • Straightened out the communication misfire with Margalit Medicus regarding Gavin having to back out–with very short notice–of being her Deputy for Warlords and Warriors.
  • Sent out report from Autumn Rose. We only had one “minorish” incident, and Gavin handed out some band-aids during the event.

Chronicler

  • The September Birch went out on time; the October one is on track.
  • Brilliana volunteered to contribute her submission to the Bard of Rokeclif contest. Bronislava noted that we really should be archiving the winning entries for each year.

Exchequer

  • Amounts below are from 08/31/2006.
  • We had 234 attendees at Autumn Rose, according to the paperwork. We did make a profit.
  • The lower-than-normal totals reflect the pre-paid expenses of Autumn Rose, which did not end until Sept. 3rd, and thus do not include the event’s receipts minus the attendance-based donation of $500.00 pledged to the Kingdom.
Account Assets Total
Available Funds    
Available Funds $

158.45

Dedicated Funds    
Arts & Science $

50.00

Chiurgeon $

60.00

Copies & Postage $

0.00

Event Reserve $

200.00

Griffin $

45.00

Herald $

50.00

Knight Marshall $

40.00

Minister of Youth $

30.00

Non-Member Surcharge $

90.00

Rapier $

22.90

White Birch $

170.23

Total Dedicated Accounts $

758.13


Total Assets $

916.58


Net Worth $

916.58

Herald/Pursuivant

  • Nothing much going on.
  • Kudrun said that she’s past the date that she can re-submit her badge, and may just use her (already passed) device instead.

Rapier Marshal

  • Practices are being held on Tuesday nights, although no one fought at the one this past Tuesday, because the other fighter forgot his gear.

Thrown Weapons Marshal

  • Practice was held this past Thurday with four people throwing and one watching. An A & S moot was also available, although there were no takers this time.
  • The next practice (also doubling as an A & S moot) will be held on Thursday, September 28th, starting at 6:00 p.m. If Maewyn has a change of plans, this will be posted to the Yahoo! group.
  • Maewyn will be the Thrown Weapons Marshal in Charge for Shattered Oak’s Siege the Day event on September 29th – 31st. Those not planning to attend Officer’s Day in South Dakota on the same weekend are encouraged to come and throw.

New Business

Autumn Rose

  • Arnora reported that the kitchen cleanup was done so well on Saturday night that Sunday morning work was negligible.
  • Post-mortem and Ahlwin’s wish-list for next year:
    • The event website should be up sooner, particularly the online volunteer sign-up forms.
    • Sign-ups should be more specialized so that folks know where and when they will be needed, rather than a generic “Feast preparers are needed.” kind of announcement.”
    • Let’s start brainstorming themes for next year. The sooner that decision is reached, the sooner we can start working on signs, etc. to deck out the site in that theme.
    • The folks providing “intermission” events for Feast should coordinate with the Feastocrat so that food is not cold or overcooked b/c of overlong intermissions. To that end, perhaps the Bard of Rokeclif contest should be broken up between removes, based on how many entrants there are.
    • We need to make use of the radios we have. Six were just left sitting on the shelf.
    • Kudrun suggested that we always have three types of Autocrats on hand: The “Emeritus” who has autocrated a number of events (and could step in, in the event of disaster), the actual event Autocrat, and the Autocrat-in-Training.
    • Brilliana volunteered to be the Autocrat-in-Training for A.R. next year, with the aim of stepping into the full Autocrat role for A.R. XIV in 2008.
    • Because Brilliana would not then have time for both the deputy-Autocrat work and her normal Heralding job, we will need another person to step in as Herald for A.R. XIII. Perhaps we can “borrow” a Herald from another group or one at-large. Brilliana will put out the word that she needs a stunt double.
    • Vitaliano volunteered to be Feastocrat at A.R. XIII. Maewyn also offered his services to that end.
    • Should we power-wash the weekend before? Or even at the Populace meeting immediately before Autumn Rose. (Of course, that assumes that we can get into the buildings during the Populace meeting, which we were not able to do this year, due to the fact that the Fair Board representative did not arrive.) Finding manure in the Feast Hall (which usually doesn’t house animals during the Fair) was an unpleasant surprise, and a walk-through would have alerted us to that ahead of time, and we could have planned accordingly.
    • Brilliana pointed out that if we can take care of the cleanup sooner, that would give us more time to add to the ambience of the site with signs, etc. Bronislava pointed out that this means that more people will have to commit to taking Friday off from work, which may not be feasible. That’s always been a limiting factor.
    • Brilliana suggested that schedules be printed for handout and perhaps maps, too. Kudrun noted that this year we had to change the location for one activity on-the-fly, and Bronislava noted that some of the scheduled entertainment didn’t show up. So printing that information ahead of time would not be feasible.
    • In lieu of printed schedules, perhaps a whiteboard “master list” could be maintained at the Porter area. Arnora has a whiteboard that she can lend for Autumn Rose.
    • Bronislava suggested an event-planning policy to the effect that anyone who recommends that the group hold a particular activity or provide an extra amenity should be willing to be responsible for that activity/amenity.
    • To help with planning next year, Ahlwin will bring the previous meeting’s minutes to use as an informal checklist to make sure that new planned items (or improvements to existing items) don’t slip through the proverbial cracks.
    • Ahlwin believes that renting a truck for hauling the garbage-trailer and running errands throughout the weekend would be a good investment. It was suggested that the errand-running be done at scheduled times to make the process more efficient.
    • Maewun noted that if he’d known ahead of time that a truck would come in so handy, he would have lent his. Brighid mentioned that her Dad has a tractor-hauling trailer powered by a very large van. She will talk to him about borrowing that and let the Shire know whether he’s willing to let us use it.

Pie Snit II: “Custard’s Revenge”

  • Site tokens are being made by Shattered Oak.
  • We will be eating pie for Feast.
  • Trivium Pursuit is ready.
  • We still have enough roll-paper for writing on tables (and walls?)
  • Kudrun will create a Mad Lib for the event.
  • Brilliana was interested in heading up the pie-themed Bardic contest.
  • Arnora and Brighid will collaborate on a pie-shaped bog dive.
  • The policy for renting the building has changed, and it will cost us another $50 if we want to set up on Friday (i.e. renting the building on Friday as well as Saturday). Renting the building on Sunday for “indoor camping” (which was offered for the first Pie Snit) would also run another $50, so that option was ruled out.
  • We will again post the event staff photos on the wall so that people know whom to talk to for what.
  • Rooms will again be named.
  • Shire members are strongly encouraged to bring savory pies, as we had an overabundance of sweet pies at Pie Snit I.
  • Make a point of marking your pie plate, and also bring serving utensils. The event website will stress that point as well, as sharing serving utensils could trigger allergies, depending on the ingredients in question.
  • Arnora will coordinate the serving, and deputize accordingly.
  • Maewyn will provide lunch if Shattered Oak or another group is not available to do so.
  • If His Majesty Siegfried attends, Bronislava promised to make him a coffee cream pie.
  • How will pies be judged? Perhaps a Pyxis for period entries? Attending Royalty?
  • Brilliana will sponsor a “heraldic” pie-theme, with categories being the best heraldically-correct rendition, and the goofiest entry.

The meeting was adjourned at 4:47 p.m.

Quote of the meeting:

Kudrun: “Is there anything else pie-ish?”
Bronislava: “…or im-pie-ish?”

_____________________________________________

October 2006

Present: Kudrun, Amata, Maewyn, Valgarth, Bronislava, Arnora, Vettoria, Vitaliano, Ariella

The meeting was called to order at 3:13 p.m. on 17 September 2006 at the La Crosse Public Library (Main branch)

Officer Reports

Arts and Sciences

  • Maewyn has graciously held the Shire’s A&S moots at his house on the same nights as Thrown Weapons practice.
  • Maewyn reported that they had new folks show up for the combined moot.
  • The next A&S moot will be held at Maewyn’s home also; the following one to be held the second Thursday of November (the 10th) at Valgarth and Ariella’s home. The fourth Thursday of the month is Thanksgiving, so there will be no moot scheduled for that night.
  • The list was passed around.

Chatelaine

  • Arnora talked to the folks they’re actually supposed to talk to regarding setting up the Shire as a UW-La Crosse student organization.
  • However, Arnora is strongly recommending that we don’t become a student organization, because (although the SCA is a bona-fide national organization) there are too many requirements that are either too restrictive or run counter to our requirements for Shirehood. These include:
    • The President and Treasurer must be students of the University.
    • The office of President must actually be called “President”, which doesn’t work w/in the SCA structure.
    • Student organizations must have their own set of bylaws, which we can’t have under the SCA rules.
  • Some bulletin boards allow postings from non-student organizations, and she and Amata posted 30-40 of them, with pull-tabs that had the Chatelaine’s email address on them.
  • Arnora was having problems setting up her Yahoo! account to check the Chatelaine email address, but has set up a separate account to resolve that.
  • New folks have contacted her since the last meeting.

Chronicler

  • Forgot the Coille Stormeil trade copy of their newsletter, The Forest Watch at home.
  • The October Birch went out on time; the way the weekends fall in October isn’t optimal, and the November Birch will be finalized the weekend of the 21st so that it can be printed and mailed the middle of the following week to have a hope of arriving by November 1st. .

Exchequer

  • Read totals in the various accounts, which do include the income for Autumn Rose, and thus are considerably more in the black than in September.
  • Some receipts were handed in for reimbursement, and some check reimbursements distributed.
  • There has apparently been some mix-up with where the bank is supposed to be sending the statements. She has not received them at either her old or new address, and Bronislava did not see the statement in the P.O. box’s mail. Vettoria will be working this out with the bank in the next few days, because she needs the statements for her reports.
Account Assets Total
Available Funds    
Available Funds $

1,689.27

Dedicated Funds    
Arts & Science $

50.00

Chiurgeon $

60.00

Copies & Postage $

0.00

Event Reserve $

800.00

Griffin $

45.00

Herald $

50.00

Knight Marshall $

40.00

Minister of Youth $

30.00

Non-Member Surcharge $

90.00

Rapier $

22.90

White Birch $

170.23

Total Dedicated Accounts $

758.13


Total Assets $

916.58


Net Worth $

916.58

Herald/Pursuivant

  • No report per se, as the group Herald was not present.
  • There was some discussion of splitting the functions of the office “book Herald” (to help folks with researching name and device submissions) and a “yelly bits” for making announcements and serving at Court for events..
  • Amata, the deputy Herald, made a plug for a 10% off sale at Barnes and Noble (where one might find heraldry-related books?) open to the invited friends and family of employees (of which she is one). Contact her for date and time.

Thrown Weapons Marshal

  • Maewyn an excellent time marshalling thrown weapons at Shattered Oak’s “Siege the Day Again” event.
  • In consideration for his services, he was given one of the targets used at the event.
  • Maewyn is considering making the trip to Jaravellir for one of their Sunday practices, once a month on average. He should be able to take six people and their armor in his van. This is currently in the planning stage, as thrown weapons is not always part of the practice. More details will be posted to the Yahoo! listserve once the specifics are worked out.

New Business

Pie Snit II: “Custard’s Revenge”

  • A base schedule was on the whiteboard of the meeting room, with revisions made throughout the meeting.
  • Arnora has an eight-hour exam scheduled for that day, so she will not be present. Brighid will run the “Little Jack Horner” challege (a.k.a. the bog dive). Arnora has done some of the research into pie-filling options, i.e. pricing out jello/pudding, etc..
  • Maewyn is in charge of lunch, as Shattered Oak declined. He brought samples of potage with meat and a fennel quiche, which met with universal approval among the samplers.
  • Instead of charging a fixed amount for lunch and having to have someone to take the fee and make change, funding will be by donation.
  • Maewyn won’t need help for managing the serving, as it will be self-served.
  • Arnora will make five to six loaves of the bread that she made for Autumn Rose; some discussion of how much soup to prepare, plus having vegetables (roasted or raw) available on the side.
  • A vegetarian option will be available.
  • Some discussion of how late to run Porter. Noon? Two? Will have to play it by ear. Bronislava and Amata and Vettoria will spot Valgarth if need be.
  • Arnora volunteered to be Royalty Liason if Their Majesties/Highnesses don’t attend (because she won’t be there either). Bronislava will be Liason if they do attend. There is currently no indication that Royalty will be in attendance.
  • Kudrun passed around some sample fabric and a prototype of a fabric “pie” for the Pie Toss event. Arnora suggested using styrofoam bowls for shape (which they’ve done in her daycare) and offered to make some for the event because she has a lot of brown fabric.
  • Some discussion of the rules for the Pie Toss. Something perhaps modeled on the game “Red Rover”. Except that you have to keep both feet planted if you’re the target, and you have to “call your shot” if you’re the thrower.
  • The Pie Stacking game rules are currently in flux. Valgarth suggested changing it to a game where you have to carry feathers in a small pie tin to fill a larger one, and cannot cover the top of the tin in any way.
  • Alternatively, stacking different sizes/shapes of tins was discussed, with perhaps the greatest height being the goal?
  • One game/activity could be a “Pie-ñata” Alternatively, chair-jousting at a pie-quintain is a definite possibility. Styrofoam lances could be made and use chalk as a marker to determine whether and where the target was hit.
  • Names for rooms discussed, but nothing set in stone.
  • A work moot is scheduled for Saturday, November 11th, to be held in the Wedgewood Commons party room. Moot starts at 10 a.m.
  • Bronislava and/or Gavin will reserve it for that day.
  • Vitaliano will be in charge of serving pie. Valgarth will supervise site teardown, and Ariella will direct site cleanup.

Other Business

  • November’s Populace Meeting time has changed: Because the third Sunday of the month will fall the day after Pie Snit, the meeting will instead follow the Work Moot to be held on Saturday, November 11th at the Wedgewood Commons party room. The work moot will start at 10 a.m., with the meeting to start at 3 p.m.

The meeting was adjourned at 4:40 p.m.

______________________________________________

November 2006

Present: Kudrun, Valgarth, Bronislava, Gavin, Vettoria, Vitaliano, Joe, Melissa, Ariella

The meeting was called to order at 3:00 p.m. on 11 November 2006 at the Wedgewood Commons party room

Officer Reports

Arts and Sciences

  • No one attended the A&S moot this past Thursday (the 9th).
  • Kudrun headed up the Research Day at the Library’s main branch, partly to compensate for the error in the Birch that listed the Populace Meeting for that weekend.
  • There will be no moot on the fourth Thursday in November, as that falls on Thanksgiving.
  • The next A&S moot will be held on Thursday, December 14th at Valgarth and Ariella’s home.
  • The list was passed around.

Chatelaine

  • Two new folks, Joe and Melissa arrived at the meeting, and introduced themselves.
  • Shire members introduced themselves, and briefly recapped the reports that had been given before Joe and Melissa arrived.
  • Note for future reference: When the Populace Meeting is to be held in Wedgewood Commons, we need to set up a new system for alerting someone to come down and open the security door, as none of the Shire members live just down the hall from the party room anymore.,
  • No official report, owing to the lack of a Chatelaine in attendance.

Chronicler

  • The newsletter for the Canton of Coille Stormeil (The Forest Watch) was passed around.
  • Valgarth’s boss has been allowing us to use his printer in exchange for a ream of paper every month, which brings our printing costs way down. But the issue of how to formally thank him was never decided when the issue was first raised at the Populace Meeting, owing to the fact that the Shire has no awards. Ariella will callig. a thank-you scroll for any interested Shire members to sign.
  • To help stretch the budget further, we need to pare down the subscriptions list, and/or convince more people to donate. There are too many area people that have either never been to a Shire meeting/event or haven’t been there in years.
  • In the August issue of the Birch an insert was included for non-subscribing or otherwise non-trade/non-obligation copies, asking for monetary support to defray the cost of printing and postage. Not one donation was received.
  • Postage is the greatest expense at the moment, so the Chronicler will include an insert with the December issue that indicates that it will be the last (for non-subscribers, non-trades, etc.) unless some word is received that the recipient would like the subscription to continue.
  • Bronislava suggested that those who would electronic versions could elect to have the PDF emailed to them in lieu of receiving a hard copy, which would reduce the expense. The Chronicler will put a message out to the list to that effect.
  • For folks who do opt for the PDF version, the suggested donation could be dropped to $8/year. That will be included in the insert as well as posted to the list at large.

Exchequer

  • Read totals in the various accounts.
  • Reminder:  Amounts in non-dedicated funds are typically re-negotiated in January. Officers with dedicated funds are encouraged to start thinking about any planned expenses now.
  • Valgarth wondered what, if anything the funds in the A & S fund could possibly purchase. Possibly supplies for a hands-on project during a moot. Other than that, supplies for handiwork to be donated by the group, such as candles, blank scrolls, etc.
Account Assets Total
Available Funds    
Available Funds $

1,235.73

Dedicated Funds    
Arts & Science $

50.00

Chiurgeon $

0.00

Copies & Postage $

0.00

Event Reserve $

750.00

Griffin $

45.00

Herald $

50.00

Knight Marshall $

40.00

Minister of Youth $

30.00

Non-Member Surcharge $

90.00

Rapier $

22.90

White Birch $

170.23

Total Dedicated Accounts $

1218.13


Total Assets $

2,453.86


Net Worth $

2,453.86

Seneschal

  • The non-member surcharge funds were sent to the appropriate folks, so we’re square for that again.

New Business

Pie Snit II: “Custard’s Revenge”

  • Kudrun is working at the Taylor library the day before the event, so we should be able to set up to some extent the night before. Anyone who can possibly make it for Friday night setup is strongly encouraged to do so.
  • The site will open to guests at 9 a.m. Shire members should be there by 8 a.m. to finish setup.
  • Kudrun handed out the “cast in Jell-O” version of the event schedule.
  • Some discussion of moving Troll/Porter to another location, because people will want to put their pie-donations in the kitchen, and the last event we had people coming into the site through the gymnasium area. However, we will have the doors closed due to the colder temperatures, and leave Troll where it currently is.
  • Some joking about giving the Troll a bridge to sit under.
  • Brilliana will be the pie-steward.
  • The Mad Libs are set.
  • Heraldry contest (on the papered walls and tables) is still set.
  • Shire members are asked to bring dolls and stuffed animals for the “armor-making contest to be done with aluminum pie tins. Scissors and staples to be provided for construction. Gavin will judge.
  • At around 9:30-ish (or at the end of the first big rush of guests through Troll), we will start organizaing teams.
  • Some discussion of the various games/contests.
  • Ariella asked how are teams to be chosen. Per event, or is this like a Pentathalon? Generally decided to hand out cards at Troll. The suit of the card determines which team you’re on–unless you trade. Teams can pick their Champions for each event. The winning team will be first in line for Feast (after, naturally, His Majesty).
  • Valgarth asked how we are supposed to know which pies are supposed to be set aside for judging vs. which pies are for Feast. Clarification of the rules:  Pies to be judged are in addition to donation for Feast.
  • Vitaliano will supply the cannoodles for the chair-jousting on the understanding that they will be replaced sometime before summer if damaged.
  • Logistics for Trivium Pursuit were worked out.
  • Pies for judging/Feast will be marked with a piece of masking tape on the bottom. The tape will be labeled with a number that matches that of a sequentially-numbered index card for listing ingredients. The card will be taped to the table next to the pie. This will hopefully avoid allergic reactions to ingredients.
  • Table and chair setup for Feast will happen before Court.
  • We should provide beverages other than just water, especially since we will have the large heated water urns available. Kudrun, Vettoria and Vitaliano will pick up the hot chocolate / apple cider / tea on the way home from the meeting.
  • The tables will be arranged in a U-shape, like last Feast, with Head Table in the bend of the “U”.
  • Show and tell of the official Rokeclif dishtowels that Kudrun marked with the cattail. She also showed the pattern for the pie contest prize, a pie-plate with a baked-on design.

The meeting was adjourned at 4:38 p.m.

Quote of the meeting:

Joe: (Upon being informed that two Shire members are expecting a child next year) “Ah. Meat pie in the oven.”

The runner-up:

Bronislava: (Explaining to new folks that “Minister of Random Hugs” isn’t an official–i.e. reporting–office) “I don’t report. I’m reported about.”

_____________________________________________

December 2006

Present: Kudrun, Valgarth, Bronislava, Gavin, Vettoria, Vitaliano, Brilliana, Beth, Josh, Ariella

The meeting was called to order at 3:05 p.m. on 17 December at Valgarth and Ariella’s home

Officer Reports

Arts and Sciences

  • A & S moot held this past Thursday (Dec 14th), with a good turnout, and was a lot of fun.
  • Sample quotes (kept anonymous to protect the overly quotable) from the meeting read for the entertainment of the assembled Populace.
  • Valgarth is actively searching for themes/project ideas for the next moots. Please contact him with what you’d like to work on.
  • The idea of car-pooling to the moots was suggested by Brilliana, if that would make it easier for folks to attend.
  • The A & S list was passed around.

Chatelaine

  • Has been following the discussion on the Yahoo! group on what people, particularly new folks, want from the SCA, and has been researching ways to make it a more fun and family-friendly place to play.
  • The Barony of Jararvellir has supplied Arnora with a number of suggestions.
  • Arnora wanted to know why we hold social hour before the meeting, rather than after. Suggested that we go elsewhere, and in garb to improve visibility.
  • Should we revive the practice of movie nights? Arnora volunteered her apartment until she has to move out in May.
  • Perhaps we should refer to the after-meeting chattering as “social practice” Some question of whether going somewhere else for “social practice” would be too sharp a break in the normal flow of a get-together and actually make people head home sooner than they would otherwise have done so.
  • What about mall demos? Arnora pointed out that UW-L doesn’t require a group to be a student organization to give demos.
  • Having business cards made was suggested. Ariella volunteered to take the lead on that.
  • Passed around a brochure that Eliane had created. (“Why are these people dressed funny?”).
  • The January 2006 meeting will be held in the Wedgewood Commons party room. We will set up some method of notifying those in the party room that new arrivals need to be let into the building–maybe rigging a bell off the balcony.
  • As the party room has a small kitchen, there will be a potluck to follow the meeting. Garb is strongly encouraged. So are board games.

Chiurgeon

  • Submitted Pie Snit report.
  • Is looking for someone to fill the office so that he can step down.

Chronicler / Webminister

  • No new subscriptions taken in (to date; the Post Office box hasn’t been checked in awhile. Chronicler was given one of the Shire keys, as she works only a few blocks from the P.O. anyway.)
  • Two reports due at the end of the month; both should be in well ahead of time.
  • Minutes will be late going online this month, owing to a pesky Calculus final.
  • An insert asking for preference (paper vs. electronic) was sent out in last month’s issue for non-donors. As of January, the default format will be electronic if the Chronicler has not been notified of a preference.
  • Ariella and Kudrun will go through the current mailing list, because there are quite a few folks who have not attended a meeting or otherwise participated in years–if even that.
  • For most folks receiving a paper copy of The White Birch:  The last month that you would have been “owed” a paper subscription would be January of 2007, if we were on a subscription model, rather than a donation model.
  • Per group agreement, Royalty will receive their copies in PDF format from now on.

Exchequer

  • The only item outstanding is a check from Arnora, which was submitted.
  • Read totals in the various accounts.
Account Assets Total
Available Funds    
Available Funds $

1,462.27

Dedicated Funds    
Arts & Science $

50.00

Chiurgeon $

0.00

Copies & Postage $

0.00

Event Reserve $

790.06

Griffin $

45.00

Herald $

50.00

Knight Marshall $

40.00

Minister of Youth $

0.00

Non-Member Surcharge $

90.00

Rapier $

22.90

White Birch $

131.23

Total Dedicated Accounts $

1,219.19


Total Assets $

2,681.46


Net Worth $

2,681.46

Herald

  • Heralded Court at Pie Snit.
  • Needs to get books back from Deputy Herald.

Radish-Slicer

  • Vitaliano and Byle McKee have researched their proposed theme for the Autumn Rose Feast: “The Feast of the Knowne Worlde”.
  • This will include Scottish (including an New World-ized version of haggis), Italian, and Oriental. At least some recipes will be tested on the group, hopefully starting in January.
  • Recipes passed around for perusal.
  • Removes will be announced via a story regarding how the foods and/or recipes were obtained. (which some of the group “old-timers” recognized as reminiccent of Coille Stormeil’s storied Feast of the Beast.)
  • The cooks would like to reconfigure tables for the Feast so that no one sits with their back to Royalty. However, acoustics may trump pomp and circumstance. Further follow-up needed.
  • Would need more tables available to make this happen.
  • Discussion of the process-flow for dishwashing and Feast-hall cleanup.

Seneschal

  • The Shire has been asked to arrange to have the Taylor Community Building available for a garb-making event on Saturday, February 11th. Note that nothing has been agreed-upon yet.
  • Rokeclif will not host this event. We will only need to unlock the doors in the morning and close them at night.
  • That being said, nothing says that the Shire wouldn’t be welcome to bring fabric and sewing machines and make garb that day.
  • Vitaliano suggested that we could make a little money providing lunch, particularly since there are really no places to eat in Taylor.
  • With the end of the year coming up, reports and Domesdays are coming due. Shire officers must consistently file reports on time to keep the group in good standing. The Shire also needs to pay its bills on time, to avoid late fees. Fortunately, the Exchequer isn’t living out of boxes now.
  • Heads-up that former ‘Cliffies (from before it was Rokeclif) may be moving back to the area.

New Business

Pie Snit Wrap-up

  • Vettoria needs lunch receipts from Maewyn because she didn’t get them the day of the event. She will call him this week to make the appropriate arrangements.
  • A total of 51 guests, including 6 children, attended.
  • We grossed $93.00, including $14.00 for the Royalty Travel Fund. Vettoria needs to find the blank checks so that she can send in the travel funds.
  • We took in $42.50 for lunch. (Note: The Webminister wasn’t swift enough on the uptake to ask whether that was gross or net.)
  • The Exchequer ran down the financial totals for the event.

Miscellaneous

  • Recap:  The January Populace Meeting will be at Wedgewood Commons on the 21st of January at 2 p.m. It is a potluck and garb is strongly encouraged.
  • The February Meeting will be held on the 13th at the Main Branch of the La Crosse Public Library (lower rooms).
  • Per the Seneschal:  Officers, deputies are encouraged by the Kingdom.
  • Bronislava will serve as the Deputy for any office in the Shire, but only for 45 minutes, maximum. After that, you’re on your own.

The meeting was adjourned at 4:10 p.m., with potluck and much social practice ensuing.

Quote of the meeting:

Kudrun: “Make sure it’s the trim that stays on the outside, because we don’t want drool on the trim.”