January 2007

Present: Vitaliano, Vettoria, Brilliana, Bronislava, Valgarth, Ariella

Meeting called to order at 2:02 p.m. on 21 January 2007 in the Wedgewood Commons party room.

Note: In default of our Seneschal, then snowbound in Ettrick, Lady Bronislava put on her “Drop-dead-deputy-for-forty-five-minutes” hat and officiated for the meeting. (Uh-oh.) As a result, the minutes differ just a wee bit from their usual format.

New Business

Autumn Rose 2007

  • The Autocrat, Ahlwin, had proposed (via the Yahoo! Rokeclif message board) that we discuss the pricing for A.R. He proposed keeping the $8/person site fee, plus either $2 per tent or $1 per person camping fee, and Feast fee of $12.
  • Vitaliano won’t be able to price the Feast for approximately another month, because he won’t have costs for all the ingredients (particularly lamb’s liver) until then.
  • An $8 per adult site fee was agreed upon.
  • Camping fee will be $1 per adult, because keeping track of people is easier than keeping track of tents.
  • The Camping fee will be waived for Shire members.
  • Vitaliano will try to make arrangements to purchase bakalava from the coffee house for the Middle Eastern dessert, as it will be difficult (if not impossible) to make in the Lions’ kitchen.
  • Some discussion of themes:  Ahlwin had suggested a “Fall Harvest” theme. When it was pointed out that this will be the 13th Autumn Rose, the idea of themeing the event on superstitions was raised. Vitaliano pointed out that there are a number of supersitions specifically related to harvests, so perhaps the themes could be combined. Further follow-up research/discussion needed.
  • Kudrun, in her post to the Yahoo! message board, asked whether or not we will hold a demo again this year. The general consensus was that the local folks are so used to the site being open that it could cause more trouble than it’s worth to reverse policy now.
  • Besides, if it’s not a demo, then the Milkshake Ladies won’t come. At the end of August, that’s A Bad Thing. Some discussion of whether or not T-Bones would agree to provide lunch without the extra customers that a demo would provide. But the point is moot, because we pretty much are locked into the demo now.
  • The question of whether or not to have a demo being decided, the next question was how aggressively to promote it. The question was ultimately tabled for a future meeting, hopefully one not one so snowy.
  • Ahlwin will post the event to the Northshield Calendar shortly, with a disclaimer on the prices.

Viroqua Demo (February 24th)

  • Brilliana and Valgarth briefly described some of the highlights from last year’s demo, including merchants and a really big drum.
  • Basically, the building is a converted auto dealership building that is now home to a number of artsy, boutique kinds of stores. This makes a very good backdrop for a demo.
  • Vitaliano, Vettoria, Brilliana, Valgarth and Ariella confirmed that they will be able to make it. Bronislava is a quot;maybequot;.
  • Last year, Eliane and Sarra came up from Jararvellir for the demo, but this year the date conflict’s with Nordleigh’s A Day of Squirrely Wrath event.

Garb Day in Ettrick

  • …is not happening.
  • But. We still need to sew, particularly loaner garb.
  • Ariella suggested A & S Nights as an ongoing sewing gig to beef up the garb closet, although Valgarth added the caveat that this would only be a good idea if it didn’t step on the Chatelaine’s proverbial toes.
  • Valgarth will talk to Arnora about bringing the loaner garb over for A & S Nights.

Upcoming Events

  • Our neighbor, Coille Stoirmeil, is hosting Tournament of Chivalry on February 3rd.
  • The Shire of Falcon’s Keep is hosting An Artful Hare Affaire on March 3rd, which will revolve around the Arts and Sciences displays, classes, judging, etc.

Officer’s Reports

Arts and Sciences

  • The list was passed around.
  • Only Kudrun attended the last A & S Night; however, another one is coming up this Thursday.
  • Vitaliano will bring a prototype of a soup that will be served at Autumn Rose. This is a predecessor of won-ton soup.
  • As always, ideas and themes are solicited. Please contact Valgarth
  • Semi-annual report was submitted and copied to the Rokeclif Seneschal.
  • Vitaliano is looking for an idea of what wood the Scottish would have used to cook, because he will be making haggis on the Lion’s grill and would like to use a “period” wood. However, the Lions need to approve the wood type, and out-of-state wood is not an option, given the dangers of importing parasites.

Exchequer

  • Vettoria’s computer did not synch the totals with her handheld, so approximate balances were given. (Precise figures are below.)
Account Assets Total
Available Funds
Available Funds $

1,545.04

Dedicated Funds
Arts & Science $

50.00

Chiurgeon $

0.00

Copies & Postage $

0.00

Event Reserve $

790.06

Griffin $

45.00

Herald $

50.00

Knight Marshall $

40.00

Minister of Youth $

0.00

Non-Member Surcharge $

90.00

Rapier $

22.90

White Birch $

131.23

Total Dedicated Accounts $

1,219.19


Total Assets $

2,764.23


Net Worth $

2,764.23

  • The Domesday report will go out in two days’ time. (It is due the 30th, and must be mailed, not electronically submitted.)
  • Topping up the officer’s funds is usually standard practice in January. Those present agreed to carry on the tradition for 2007.
  • Because the Chiurgeon’s Fund tends to run short on a consistent basis, a motion to raise the budget to $75 (from $60) was made, and passed unanimously.
  • Bronislava will bring the receipt from the deposit on the Wedgewood Commons party room to A & S Night for Vettoria.

Herald

  • Brilliana won a very nice Herald’s tabard at Twelfth Night, which she is donating to the group.
  • The pointy-haired Powers That Be are making noises about rearranging work schedules, which could mean that she would have to work on Sundays, and would thus miss meetings. Brilliana doesn’t know for certain that this could happen, but it’s a possibility.
  • Her Domesday report was filed on time.

Webminister/Chronicler

  • Per the group’s earlier approval, the default format of the Birch will be PDF, rather than paper, starting with the February edition.
  • One request for a paper version has been received thus far, graciously accompanied by a donation. Another donation was received after the meeting. (Huzzah for donations!)
  • December’s online meeting minutes marked two full years that they have been posted.
  • Ariella will contact Ahlwin regarding a bare-bones Autumn Rose website to link to from the Northshield event announcement.

Meeting adjourned at 2:38 p.m., giving us nine minutes of Stunt Seneschaldom to spare.

Credits: Exchequer details provided by Vettoria Soranzo.

___________________________________________

February 2007

 

Present: Kudrun, Valgarth, Busta, Maewyn, Vettoria, Vitaliano, Ahlwin, Brighid, Gordon, Ariella

The meeting was called to order at 2:12 p.m. on 18 February at the La Crosse Area Public Library (Main Branch)

Officer Reports

Arts and Sciences

  • A & S moot held this past Thursday (Feb. 8th) with a good turnout, and was a lot of fun.
  • A possible new member of the Shire dropped by last week’s meeting. He is interested in heavy fighting.
  • Valgarth is actively searching for themes/project ideas for the next moots. Please contact him with what you’d like to work on.
  • The A & S list was passed around.

Exchequer

  • Officer’s funds were topped up in January, as has been the custom in Rokeclif for a number of years.
  • Read totals in the various accounts.
Account Assets Total
Available Funds
Available Funds $

1,475.50

Dedicated Funds
Arts & Science $

50.00

Chiurgeon $

75.00

Copies & Postage $

0.00

Event Reserve $

800.00

Griffin $

45.00

Herald $

50.00

Knight Marshall $

40.00

Minister of Youth $

30.00

Non-Member Surcharge $

90.00

Rapier $

30.00

White Birch $

138.80

Total Dedicated Accounts $

1,368.80


Total Assets $

2,844.30


Net Worth $

2,844.30

Marshal of Fence

  • No practices have been held recently because of the weather.
  • Ahlwin will attend the Knowne Worlde Rapier Symposium in November. He hopes to have his marshalling paperwork (meaning that he has all the required signatures) in order by then.
  • Alhwin also plans to marshal at Gulf Wars for at least one day, (and play for another). Hopefully he will be able to pick up another few signatures for his paperwork there.

Marshal of Thrown Weapons

  • The weather did not cooperate with plans to drive to Jararvellir for their practice.
  • Maewyn hopes to attend a Jararvellir practice soon, but with Tax Season coming up, his disposable time is becoming very limited, and will be so until after April 17th.
  • Vitaliano noted that he discovered an archery range around Trempeleau. The price of membership is $15 per year, and the course is open year-round, although some of the ranges may be too short for a powerful longbow. Some interest in using the headed building as a practice area, or possibly even holding an archery event there. Vitaliano will attend the archery club’s next meeting, which will be in the first week of March.

Seneschal

  • Reminder that there is a demo to be held in Viroqua this coming Saturday (the 24th). Kudrun hasn’t heard from the co-worker whom she asked to fill in for her that day, so she may not be there until sometime mid-afternoon. Valgarth volunteered to be the contact person and set up.
  • There have been some conflicts for the next Shire meeting, which would normally happen on the 18th of March. One of the conflicts is that the Library will not be available. This is also the case for the 11th and the 25th of March as well.
  • Vitaliano and Vettoria suggested that the Shire meet at Peaberry’s coffee house, as Peaberry’s has been accomodating to another group that they are in. Traditionally, the Shire has not held its Populace meetings in a commercial establishment. But, based on Vitaliano and Vettoria’s experiences, the owners would be willing to use the upper area and hang the banner from the railing.
  • The group voted to hold the March Populace meeting at Peaberry’s on the 25th.
  • Depending on how accomodating Peaberry’s in in March, those present conditionally decided to hold the April meeting there as well, because the Public Library is not available on the usual date.

Webminister / Chronicler

  • February’s White Birch made the transition to a mostly electronic distribution list. The distribution to the not-particularly-active ‘Cliffies might’ve gone a little better if Ariella had remembered to ping those folks sooner.
  • No reports due until the end of March.
  • Vitaliano suggested setting up the Autumn Rose website as its own subdomain of rokeclif.org.
  • UW-L will be closed for spring break during the second full week in March, so Ariella plans to use this time to put the Birches online. Discussion with Kudrun regarding converting the old paper copies to PDF as well, and placing the archives online.
  • Spring break would also be an excellent time to contact the Webminister about linking and/or creating any vanity-pages. (Hint, hint…)
  • Received one new White Birch donation after the close of the meeting. (Huzzah for donations!)

New Business

Autumn Rose

  • At the January Shire meeting, the idea of a “superstition” theme for the 13th Autumn Rose was mooted. Maewyn mentioned that the tradition of Friday the 13th being bad luck may have dated to the Knights Templar. If he can corroborate this, we may work it into the event, particularly the fighting activities.
  • Vettoria wants to know whether we’ve heard anything from the equestrians, as we would need additional insurance if they are to attend and/or demo.
  • Vitaliano shared more details about the Feast:
    • He has found a bagpipe-player–perhaps two–to take the place of the 7’3″ Scots-born piper that he’d hoped to have perform.
    • He has discovered a turnip-based dish to complement the haggis, and intends to have one vegetarian dish to go with each meat dish in the removes.
    • There is a period form of “taco” from 13th Century Spain that he’d like to implement. Unfortunately, the recipe calls for bull meat, which cannot be sold for human consumption, so regular beef will have to be substituted.
    • As discussed at the last A & S Night, he would like to build canopies for the guests of honor for a period feast look. He has an idea for a PVC-tubing based structure, covered in fabric. Donations of fabric that can be used as canopy material.
    • Failing that, clean white bedsheets that are normally thrown away by hotels can be dyed in Northshield or Rokeclif colors. If we can obtain and dye enough sheets, they can serve as tablecloths as well.
    • He would like to rearrange the normal seating in the Feast Hall to make it more period, which mostly means that no one sits with their back to Royalty, as long as it doesn’t make things more difficult for the servers.
    • The ginger pork dish absolutely MUST be served when it is ready or it will turn inedible. It will be served as the second course, so we can’t hold the Bard of Rokeclif contest or any other uninterruptible entertainment in the interval between first and second course.
    • The Feast will consist of four courses, one of which is dessert. Ingredients and the “Tales of the Four Pages” will be posted on the A.R. website.
    • Most of the food will actually be cooked in the room adjacent to the actual Feast Hall. Much of the prep will be done before the event.
    • Vitaliano still needs two pages (Italian or Spanish) and might need appropriate costumes for those countries.
  • Alhwin plans to have an “uber-volunteer” person to ping potential volunteers at events before Autumn Rose.
  • We also need marshals for most combat-related activities. We are trying very hard to find new coordinators/marshals, to allow the gentles who have helped out in this capacity in previous years to actually “play” at the event.
  • The discreetly damp policy will be more aggressively enforced this year, after some folks roundly abused the privilege at the last Feast.
  • The “General Public” section of this year’s A.R. website will include a version of the “Amenities” page that indicates that food/refreshment from T-Bones, the Milkshake Ladies, and the Turkish coffee house will be available.
  • Vettoria will need all paperwork for the merchants before the event. Bronislava is the merchant coordinator, and should make anyone merchanting aware–in the highly unlikely event that they aren’t already–of the State of Wisconsin requirements.
  • The merchant fee this year will be the usual donation of an item for the silent auction.
  • We are shooting for combining the normal August walk-through with a partial pre-cleaning of the site, to cut down on the amount of work that we normally have to do on Thursday and Friday. Alhwin will talk to Kudrun’s contact with the Fair Board to discuss the possibility of obtaining a key a few weeks in advance.
  • Brighid’s father has volunteered the use of his tractor for hauling equipment, trash bins, etc. during the event.
  • The dumpster that we obtained from Hilltoppers was the correct size, but they placed it in a very bad location. We will correct that this year.
  • Vettoria will not be able to run the silent auction this year, as she will have a four month-old baby to tend. Busta volunteered, and we will put a shout-out on the website for additional help.
  • Vitaliano is toying with the idea of making part of the Feast prep a “demo”, possibly the tortilla-making.
  • Alhwin will be asking for entertainers for the demo part of the event.
  • Brighid will be doing a variation on the scavenger hunt for the Children’s Activities that will involve gold doubloons as part of a possible pirate theme.

The meeting was adjourned at 4:06 p.m.

______________________________________

March 2007

Present: Kudrun, Maewyn, Vettoria, Vitaliano, Brilliana, Cybele, Amata, Ariella

The meeting was called to order at 2:13 p.m. on 25 March at Peaberry’s Coffee Shop

Officer Reports

Arts and Sciences (the unauthorized version, given by the self-deputized Mrs. A&S)

  • Recent A & S moot turnouts have been good. The next one is scheduled for Thursday, April 12th.
  • Last moot involved Heraldry research, garb-making, etc.
  • The A & S list was passed around.

Exchequer

  • The renewal for the Shire’s P.O. Box is due.
  • Read totals in the various accounts.
Account Assets Total
Available Funds
Available Funds $

1,475.50

Dedicated Funds
Arts & Science $

50.00

Chiurgeon $

75.00

Copies & Postage $

0.00

Event Reserve $

800.00

Griffin $

45.00

Herald $

50.00

Knight Marshall $

40.00

Minister of Youth $

30.00

Non-Member Surcharge $

90.00

Rapier $

30.00

White Birch $

138.80

Total Dedicated Accounts $

1,368.80


Total Assets $

2,844.30


Net Worth $

2,844.30

Herald (the “yell-y bits” one)

  • Brilliana’s (Domesday) report was in on time.
  • There was a postage-type glitch with the membership renewal, but that was resolved with online registration. The upshot is that she’s legit. with the Society Registrar, so we won’t go into abeyance on her account.

Herald (the “book-y bits” one)

  • Amata attended the Herald’s Symposium.
  • She is currently helping someone register his name. If anyone knows where to find a list of names already registered in the SCA, please contact her.
  • Amata is currently compiling a list of books on heraldry. Please forward any additions to this list (Title, Author, ISDN number) to her.
  • She will be sending around a checklist to get a sense of how many folks have registered names/devices/badges, how many are in the process of registering/researching, and how many do not intend to do so in the foreseeable future.

Marshal of Thrown Weapons

  • Maewyn’s yard is currently too boggy for TW practice, but hopefully that will improve in a month or so.

Seneschal

  • Our good neighbors, the Canton of Coille Stoirmeil, have asked us whether we would be willing and able to provide lunch for their 25th Anniversary Silver Forest Ball event on April 20th – 22nd. (The would need lunch on Saturday the 21st.)
  • Due to real-world constraints, Vitaliano and Maewyn will tag-team the effort, with Vitaliano doing the research and prep, and Maewyn cooking and serving lunch the day of the event.

Webminister / Chronicler

  • The March issue of the Birch went out on time.
  • Ariella also renewed her membership, which is good until something like 2010 now.
  • Next Birch is slated to be mailed Wednesday; needs a “Seneschal’s missive” for it.
  • A bare-bones website is online, but is not linked-to from anywhere. Is currently waiting for Alhwin’s go-ahead to post links. (Update: Alhwin did indeed give the go-ahead on Saturday; Ariella’s email client, however, failed to notify her that new mail had arrived in the “webminister” account, so it went unnoticed before the meeting.)
  • Ariella is looking for deputies for both the Webminister and Chronicler positions, as she intends to step down at the end of 2007. It’s not a huge deal right now, and we don’t even need to worry about the transition until after Autumn Rose.
  • Vitaliano indicated that he would be interested in the Webminister post. He and Ariella will follow up later.

New Business

Autumn Rose

  • Based on the contact information that Ahlwin sent to Ariella, we apparently have a Marshall for the Heavy Weapons tournament. (Huzzah for Lord Hawthorn!)
  • The Feast menu is almost nailed down; there have been a few changes, based on the availability/affordability of the ingredients. Vitaliano gave an overview of the four courses of the “Feast of the Knowne Worlde.”
  • Vitaliano reports that he is “pencilled-in” to receive 200+ used sheets from a local hotel when they retire their current stock on April 1st. Some will undoubtedly be unusable, but others can be converted to canopy awnings, banners, and table covers for the Shire.
  • Maewyn noted that he had received questions from SCA folks regarding the dates. The Northshield Calendar and the Northwatch both say that the event runs September 1-2. Traditionally, the event has been listed as Friday – Sunday, so the people who contacted Maewyn were concerned that an event less than two days would not be worth the driving time.
  • Kudrun will make sure that Ahlwin (who has the login information for the event on the Northshield website) changes that.
  • We will open the site at the traditional time (5:00 p.m. on Friday).

Other Business

  • It was generally agreed that Peaberry’s is too loud for a regular meeting site.
  • With the onset of warm weather, we should be able to use the shelter in Copeland Park, with Peaberry’s as a backup in case of uncooperative weather.

The meeting was adjourned at 3:42 p.m.

______________________________________

April 2007

Present: Kudrun, Bronislava, Gavin, Arnora, Valgarth, Ariella

The meeting was called to order at 2:29 p.m. at Copeland Park

Officer Reports

Arts and Sciences

  • Recent A & S moot turnouts have been good. The next one is scheduled for Thursday, April 26th.
  • Last moot involved helping Arnora decide what to make with fabric that had been donated by Bronislava’s sister, the Lady Marwen.
  • R.S.V.P.s, including what you plan on working on, are very helpful for planning and most appreciated.
  • Discovered a shop in Black River Falls that sells brewing and beekeeping supplies.
  • The A & S list was passed around.

Chatelaine

  • One of the newer attendees at A&S night has decided to join the SCA; another is thinking about it and has already done some leather work.
  • The emails to the chatelaine account have tapered off, so Arnora will be posting at UW-L again.
  • Kudrun reported that we have another person interested in joining the Yahoo! listserve, but it came from the same address as the spammer that she recently banned.
  • Arnora moved again, and will be unable to host movie nights. If anyone is interested in hosting, please contact her.

Seneschal

  • The Shire had a good turnout at yesterday’s (April 14th) Coronation in Silfren Mere.
  • There is a dance seminar coming up.

Webminister / Chronicler

  • Normally reports are due on the 1st of April, but both the Chronicler and Webmister reporting schedules were moved up by a month. Those reports were submitted on time.
  • The April Birch went out on time.
  • Thanks to Arnora for catching the mistake on the website that said that the April meeting was on March 25th, and also communicating that to folks who might have been confused.

New Business

Autumn Rose

  • Bronislava is Merchant Coordinator.
  • Gavin does not have a replacement/deputy lined up, so he will likely be the Chiurgeon.
  • Ahlwin has lined up marshals for the event.
  • We still don’t have a confirmation from the Equestrian folks. Giving them a May 1st deadline, because we will need to line up insurance if they do come.

Other Business

  • Given the schedule limitations of Vitaliano and Maewyn, Kudrun asked Shattered Oak if they would be willing to provide lunch for Coille Stromeil’s Silver Forest Ball in our stead. They did agree. Kudrun plans to volunteer in the kitchen anyway.
  • The next meeting will be at Myrick Park on Sunday, May 20th. Garb is strongly encouraged, as we will be more visible than usual. Bronislava thought that the prices charged by Peaberry’s were high, even for a coffee shop, and suggested the Bean Juice coffee shop on Jackson and 19th Streets in La Crosse as a rain site. Those present agreed to adopt the suggestion.
  • The June 17th meeting will be at Copeland again, only nearer to the playground. Again, garb is highly recommended.
  • The meeting was adjourned at 2:49 p.m.

__________________________________

May 2007

Present: Maewyn, Kudrun, Bronislava, Gavin, Vitaliano, Vettoria, Allyssa, Valgarth, Ariella

The weather being somewhat…shall we say…ambiguous, and the rain site (Bean Juice coffee shop) having decided to close on Sundays, the decision was made to relocate the meeting to the King Street Kitchen–formerly the Country Kitchen kitty-corner to The Pizza Doctors on King and 7th Streets in La Crosse.

The meeting was called to order at 2:37 p.m. at King Street Kitchen

Officer Reports

Arts and Sciences

  • The meeting on May 25th has been cancelled due to schedule conflicts. However, ‘Cliffies are welcome to contact Valgarth for help on projects at other times.
  • The A & S list was passed around.

Chiurgeon

  • Gavin will be refurbishing his CPR certification later this month.
  • Gavin will be back in school again this coming fall, taking nursing classes at T.C. The upshot of that is that his participation will be more, quote “low key.”
  • The joke was made that we’d thus see Gavin every six months instead of every three.

Exchequer

  • The totals in various accounts are as follows:
Account Assets Total
Available Funds
Available Funds $

1,356.56

Dedicated Funds
Arts & Science $

50.00

Chiurgeon $

75.00

Copies & Postage $

20.00

Event Reserve $

800.00

Griffin $

45.00

Herald $

50.00

Knight Marshall $

40.00

Minister of Youth $

30.00

Non-Member Surcharge $

90.00

Rapier $

30.00

White Birch $

138.80

Total Dedicated Accounts $

1,368.80


Total Assets $

2,735.36


Net Worth $

2,735.36

Seneschal

  • The Chatelaine’s office is currently vacant. (Alas, no one stirred from the table long enough to be voted Chatelaine in their absence, but Bronislava did point out that this simply means that we are ALL Chatelaines.)
  • Kudrun would like to step down from the office. Anyone who is not prohibited by SCA bylaws from serving, and can fulfill the obligations, please step forward.

Thrown Weapons

  • Regular practices will start after Warlords and Warrior’s Day in July.
  • If Ahlwin is amenable, perhaps Thrown Weapons practice could be combined with Rapier Practice, as there is enough room for both.

Webminister / Chronicler

  • Ariella is still looking for a replacement for Chronicler when she steps down at the end of the year.
  • Will shortly be following up with Vitaliano–who has had a few minor details like becoming a new Daddy to preoccupy him–on the Feast page for the A.R. website.
  • The Autumn Rose website has not been terribly active; is waiting for details to be fleshed out by the Autocrat.

New Business

Autumn Rose

  • Vitaliano has the schtick for the Feast nearly worked out. Isn’t certain whether the page sent to China (Arnora) will attend, so he may need a substitute. In addition, he needs pages that will be sent to the other corners of the world.
  • Menu update: Haggis must be baked. Since we don’t have ovens, a haggis-based spread over oatcakes will be served for the Scottish remove.
  • Is not able to document all recipes for the Feast; however, the ingredients will be period. Is that okay with the group? (General assent)
  • We are breaking with tradition in that no roasted root vegetables will be served.
  • Bronislava will serve as Royalty Liaison (assuming that there are any Royalty to liaison with) as well as Merchant Coordinator.
  • Amata is acting as Hall Steward for feast hall setup. The big question is still whether Court–again, assuming that Royalty attends–will be held before of after Feast.
  • Vitaliano is looking to purchase burners, which run about $70.00 for a pair. He will purchase one for himself. The size should make them storable within the roasters, as we are running low on storage space..

Other Business

  • Vitaliano suggested that we come up with a permanent rain site, given the mishap of our designated rain site deciding to close on Sundays.
  • June’s meeting scheduled for Copeland Park, but there is the possibility that a Loggers game could be happening at that time, in which case we can forget about parking. Ariella will check the Loggers schedule and report back to the group.
  • Myrick as a meeting site may be a little dicey, given that renovations are scheduled. Copeland Park in La Crosse is a possible substitute, with the deli on the first floor of the Food Co-op a possible rain site.
  • Vitaliano checked with the archery club mentioned at a previous meeting. At least one member of Rokeclif would have to be a member of the club for us to use their facilities. A drawback to using the facilities for an event is that we would not have it exclusively. Any club member who would want to use the premises at the same time would have full rights to the grounds.

The meeting was adjourned at 3:20 p.m., roughly coinciding with the arrival of food.

_________________________________

June 2007

Present: Kudrun, Brilliana, Vitaliano, Vettoria, Allyssa, Maewyn, Valgarth, Ariella

The meeting was called to order at 2:18 p.m. at Cameron Park in La Crosse on June 17th, 2007.

Officer Reports

Arts and Sciences

  • The A & S list was passed around.
  • A & S Nights are only scheduled for the second Thursday of the month during the summer, because folks have so much other stuff (SCA and non-) going on.
  • That being said, please feel free to contact Valgarth if you want to schedule one-on-one time for an A & S project at other times.
  • No shows at the previous A & S Night.

Herald

  • It’s been pretty quiet lately; she’s been sending the same report.
  • Vettoria was interested in a household device with which to mark Alyssa in case she slips away during an event.

Exchequer

  • The P.O. Box fee was paid in April.
  • Vettoria would like to have the checks ready for the Fairgrounds and the Lion’s Kitchen at the next meeting or before.
  • No receipts were handed in since the last meeting, so checks were issued. The totals in various accounts are identical to May, and run as follows:
Account Assets Total
Available Funds
Available Funds $

1,356.56

Dedicated Funds
Arts & Science $

50.00

Chiurgeon $

75.00

Copies & Postage $

20.00

Event Reserve $

800.00

Griffin $

45.00

Herald $

50.00

Knight Marshall $

40.00

Minister of Youth $

30.00

Non-Member Surcharge $

90.00

Rapier $

30.00

White Birch $

138.80

Total Dedicated Accounts $

1,368.80


Total Assets $

2,735.36


Net Worth $

2,735.36

Seneschal

  • Kudrun has found a Deputy Seneschal with an eye to stepping down after several years in office. Maewyn agreed to serve as Deputy.
  • As Maewyn was out of the Shire inspecting the site for Warlord’s and Warriors for Thrown Weapons, he was voted in as Deputy Seneschal, with one nay and one abstention due to lack of language skills.
  • Kudrun would like to become Deputy Chronicler, but as she refused to cross the street for long enough for the Food Co-op to refill her coffee, this was not voted on.

Webminister / Chronicler

  • The June White Birch was sent out on time.
  • Reports for both Chronicler and Webminister were due on June 1st and submitted a few days before that.
  • A book review would be appreciated to flesh out the one currently underway.
  • A bare-bone Feast page is up for the Autumn Rose website. Details will be fleshed out when the ingredients list is finalized.

New Business

Autumn Rose

  • Vitaliano asked Brilliana to calligraphy/illuminate the Feast menu and a photocopy will be placed on each table.
  • We need to have an ad-hoc planning meeting by the end of the month, as the Autocrat’s work schedule is making it difficult for him to attend Shire meetings.
  • Brilliana has talked to T-Bones, and he has verbally confirmed that he will sell lunch at Autumn Rose.
  • We will ask the Milkshake Ladies to provide shakes at Autumn Rose at the Trempealeau Fair in July.
  • The July Shire meeting will be held on July 22nd, not the 15th, first at Trempealeau County Fairgrounds so that we can talk to the Milkshake Ladies and do an informal walkthrough of the grounds. Plan on winding up at Kudrun’s house at around 2:30.
  • The August Shire meeting will likewise be held at the Fairgrounds so that we can do the traditional inspection.
  • Despite the fact that the show animals at the Fair are being re-arranged somewhat this year, we will still need to power-wash the Merchant’s Area, and possibly the Feast Hall as well.
  • Last year, the County employee responsible for cleaning the Feast Hall building did not do a thorough job, and there were spots that had to be hastily mopped of aged cow dung. This year, Vitaliano will try to inspect that building even before the July meeting, and alert the County board if the building is not reasonably clean.
  • At this time, we do not know if any demonstrators or performers have committed to be at A.R. The merchant who normally hires the Middle Eastern dancers will likely not attend the event, so we don’t know if they will be available.
  • Valgarth will contact Hilltoppers for the dumpsters. Any deposit or pre-payment checks will be ready at the next meeting.
  • Preferably, we can have Hilltoppers deliver the dumpsters on the Friday of the event, so that someone will be there to show them where to situate them.
  • Vitaliano has a verbal confirmation from the Lions that he can use the kitchen. However, they require that he use charcoal rather than logs in the grill. He will use wood chips to flavor the meat.
  • We need enforcers to make sure that campers who intend to be up late camp in the noisy area, leaving the quiet area to those who want to turn in early. Ariella will take the lead on making and posting signs.
  • No tokens have been made, although two ideas, involving wooden roses and wooden leaves, have been proposed. The color of the cord will determine site vs. site and feast admission. Valgarth will follow up on the pricing of the leaves; Brighid, who found the wooden roses, will be contacted to follow up on the price of the roses.
  • Maewyn will ask Morgan if he is again willing to provide biscuits and gravy for the Sunday morning breakfast. Maewyn will likely see Morgan at WW.
  • At this point, it does not look as though we will have Royalty, so Vitaliano asked how Head Table will be filled. Traditionally, this is done with the tournament winners (in default or Royalty or reigning Baron(ess). Vitaliano suggested that the mid-remove performers (a.k.a. his “pages” who are sent to the four corners of the world). Stunt Royalty? Viscount Leif and Viscountess Astrid are supposed to attend, but Leif is already Vitaliano’s “bouncer”. Inquiries will be made.
  • Vitaliano was not able to acquire sheets to be dyed as canopy and wall hangings for the Feast. He is still contacting hotels.
  • The Turkish coffee house folks have–to present knowledge–confirmed their attendance. However, the Caffeine Addict’s Guild will NOT be selling breakfast on Saturday morning, so there is a need for that. Bronislava, as Merchant Coordinator, will be contacted to ask her to determine whether the coffee house will attend Autumn Rose.
  • Vettoria noted that per regulations, merchants must have their paperwork to her BEFORE the event. Email and fax submissions are perfectly acceptable.
  • At the time of the meeting, we were not aware that anyone had committed to Marshalling the Fencing at the event. Will follow up.

Follow-up Note: Lord Michiel Ui Conallain graciously offered his services for this office. Huzzah for Lord Michiel (and Lord Hawthorn while we’re at it!).

  • The Equestrian folks couldn’t commit by the deadline we set, so there will be no Equestrian activities this year.
  • Brighid has not applied for the background check required for those running Youth activities. The SCA has (apparently) only recently designated the firm responsible for making these checks. Price (and reimbursibility) to be determined. The background check process reputedly takes a month.

Webminister’s Note: Information regarding the details of the background check has not been verified, despite scanning the www.sca.org website and the Youth Activities web pages on the www.northshield.org website.

  • The Chiurgeon’s kit should be filled before the event, to minimize errand-running during Autumn Rose.
  • The Fairgrounds sign is invisible to those coming from the north on Highway 53 because of overgrowth. Ariella will provide a large sign to indicate where guests are supposed to turn.
  • Further discussion will have to happen via the Yahoo! Listserve, as we need a number of questions answered before the July meeting.

Other Business – Proposed 2008 event

  • Vitaliano suggested that we host a combined Archery, Thrown Weapons and Arts & Sciences event at the archery club he mentioned at the previous meeting.
  • We can have exclusive use of one of the buildings, which would provide kitchen facilities, tables, and electrical outlets.
  • The site does allow camping. However, NO campfires would be allowed, given that the area is forested by pine trees.
  • For a Feast theme, we could possibly have a stew snit. The cost of stew could be in part defrayed by the Shire, as a stew to feed many is considerably more expensive than having a pie as the site fee. More discussion needed.
  • The stews could be judged. Discussion of a populace vote supplemented by cooking laurels.
  • As the event would be A & S themed, Ariella noted that she has previously offered to organize an “Iron Tailor” type of event. If there are sufficient outlets for sewing machines and enough tables, she would be interested.

Other Business – Report on the new Warlord’s and Warrior’s event site

  • Maewyn returned from inspecting the new WW site, which was arranged at the last minute due to the unsuitability of the old site.
  • Maewyn reported that the campgrounds (the site of summer events like RockFest, CountryFest, etc.) is huge. There is room enough to add siege weaponry and combat archery to the heavy fighting.
  • There are no stables for the Equestrians.
  • The site also has very few trees, so plan on bringing shade flies. It was suggested that if the Shire plans to make its own encampment, we should bring the flies in storage.
  • Showering facilities are on site, as well as flush toilets. However, these are not necessarily conveniently situated.
  • The handicap-accessible facilities are extremely limited. Anyone requiring those facilities are strongly encouraged to contact the Autocrats as soon as possible.
  • Bear in mind that the “camping” that takes place on the site is done in RVs, so it is set up for that more so that traditional camping.
  • The weather at the site has been very dry, so burning is by permit only. If the dry weather continues, there may even be a ban on burning. Plan accordingly.
  • At this time, no one knows what effect the change in location will have on attendance.

The meeting was adjourned at 3:40 pm.

_________________________________

July 2007

Present: Kudrun, Brighid, Brilliana, Bronislava, Busta, Gavin, Vitaliano, Vettoria, Allyssa, Maewyn, Ahlwin, Valgarth, Ariella

The meeting was called to order at Kudrun’s house at 3:17 p.m., after making a preliminary walkthrough of the Trempealeau County Fairgrounds while the Fair was in progress, and making preliminary decisions regarding where to locate things.

Officer Reports

Arts and Sciences

  • The A & S list was passed around.
  • A & S night was last Thursday. Kudrun showed up.
  • The next A & S night is the second Thursday in August (the 9th). Making site tokens will be the project.
  • Still needs to buy cord for the tokens. Discusson of how long to make cords. Long enough to tie on belt, with some “necklace” ones. (Alternatively, we can leave some cord at Troll to swap in.)

Chiurgeon

  • Gavin technically doesn’t qualify as a “Chiurgeon” at the moment because his CPR certification expired. He’s currently working on that.
  • This is being rectified.
  • Gavin’s currently going through his medical kit in preparation for A.R. Vettoria reminded him that he has $75 to top up the kit if he needs it.
  • We need to be more organized on supply runs than we were last year.

Exchequer

  • No checks sent out since the last meeting, although several A.R. ones have been cut and are ready to be signed.
  • We are also paying for the storage locker rental this month.
  • Totals in the various accounts run as follows:
Account Assets Total
Available Funds
Available Funds $

1,316.56

Dedicated Funds
Arts & Science $

50.00

Chiurgeon $

75.00

Copies & Postage $

20.00

Event Reserve $

800.00

Griffin $

45.00

Herald $

50.00

Knight Marshall $

40.00

Minister of Youth $

30.00

Non-Member Surcharge $

90.00

Rapier $

30.00

White Birch $

138.80

Total Dedicated Accounts $

1,368.80


Total Assets $

2,685.36


Net Worth $

2,385.36

Herald

  • Her latest report is in.

Seneschal

  • Kudrun’s latest report is in, too..
  • At the June meeting Kudrun announced her desire to step laterally from the Seneschal’s office to that of Chronicler. Maewyn had expressed an interest in taking on the Seneschal’s office. As Maewyn was returning from an inspection of the WW site at the time the topic was discussed, those present had duly voted him, in absentia, Deputy Seneschal. Two nays due to lack of agreement on who was the acting official nay-sayer of the meeting, and one abstention for lack of language skills (although not for lack of trying).
  • At the June meeting, Kudrun could not be persuaded to cross the street long enough to be voted Deputy Chronicler, so Vitaliano called for her assistance in preparing the shrimp, and she was duly voted in.

Webminister / Chronicler

  • We received the balance of a subscription-donation at the start of the meeting. Huzzah for donations! (Especially now that the price of stamps has gone up. Again. Grrrrr.)
  • Vitaliano mentioned a number of issues with the A.R. website:
    • Remove mention of Equestrians
    • Vitaliano is listed as Feast Steward as though he’s done it before, which is not the case.
    • The construction of Highway 53 requires alternative directions for travelling from Osseo to A.R. Also, we should make a note for folks travelling from other directions the construction starts north of Galesville, just so that they’re not confused by the D.O.T.’s signage.
  • The Northwatch still has the old URL (from early 2004 and before) listed for Rokeclif. Ariella will contact Osric to fix this.
  • Still need info. (how many people when and where, doing what for how long) for all the volunteer pages. Ahlwin will follow up with Ariella.
  • No new info. for the Feast page yet.

New Business

Autumn Rose

  • What entertainment do we offer the public? Kudrun will contact the Northshield Choir. Individual bards will be asked personally.
  • The merchant who typically hires the dancers will not attend, and likely they will not, either. Vettoria and Brilliana will talk to various artisans regarding demo-ing.
  • The question of whether or not a fire ban (as has been issued in previous years) will affect demos such as casting, blacksmithing and period cooking. The fairgrounds is not part of the city, and should be exempt from city bans. However, we can certainly soak the ground around the area of any open flame used for demos.
  • Originally, Astrid agreed to be “stunt Royalty”, but HRM Giulia has announced her intention to attend.
  • Brighid offered to loan her family’s lawn tractor (including its trailer and the van to haul it) for hauling garbage cans and other heavy things around site. Someone who knows how to drive a stick-shift transmission is needed, however, but we have those folks in plenty.
  • Ahlwin arrived from the Cities, and we reviewed the proposed building use (worked out at the fairgrounds) with him.
  • Where do we put the two shade flies? The heavy weapons and rapier folks can share one of them.
  • Vettoria noted that Maewyn plans to bring his own shade fly for Thrown Weapons.
  • Which building to use for Royalty? The one next to the Merchants’ building that we were planning to use for an all-purpose shelter.
  • al-Fondouk’s may not be coming due to high gas prices.
  • Valgarth will contact Hilltoppers about dumpsters. Any deposit or or pre-payment checks will be ready at the next meeting.
  • The next Shire meeting will be held at the Fairgrounds on August 19th at 2:00 p.m.. We will do our formal walkthrough whenever the gentleman with the key arrives and work the meeting around that..
  • No animals were kept in the Feast Hall building during this year’s fair, so we shouldn’t have the unpleasant surprise of maturing manure to deal with this year.
  • We will plan to bring out all available benches this year, because you can never have too many places to sit.
  • Brilliana will put a…um…shout-out on the Herald’s List for a proxy Herald, as she is practicing to be Autocrat this year.
  • The Marshals (heavy and rapier) for the event are still planning to be at A.R.
  • This year we will use bungee-cords to hold the trash can liners in place. Discussion of what the critical times to check garbage cans are.
  • The idea of moving the Troll location quashed, simply because the amenities are the best in the current spot.
  • At this point, we have no youth boffer fighting, as there is no one to Marshal it. We will still keep looking for someone to head that up.
  • The minimum of $5 value raffle donation applies to merchants only.
  • After some rethinking and discusson of the quiet-vs.-noisy encampments, we decided to keep quiet encampments closer to where the Equestrian area would be, with some consideration given to those who require electrical outlets.
  • Some further discussion of sign placement. The more signage, the merrier.
  • Brighid volunteered to bring rope in a variety of sizes/lengths.
  • The Bard of Rokeclif contest will be held after the second Feast remove, so as not to interfere with the scheduling of the ginger pork.
  • Brilliana is still planning to calligraphy and illuminate the invitations to Royalty.
  • Long-ish discussion of how we can set up things so that the general public doesn’t shy away from al-Fondouk’s on the mistaken thought that it’s someone’s private tent, and not a coffee house.
  • We will ask Coille Stoirmeil if we can borrow their sandwich boards for signage. Kudrun will contact them. In the future, we will look to make our own, although not until after A.R.
  • Brighid’s tractor can also be used to haul the large water coolers to strategic locations (and possibly back and forth for refills).
  • Anyone who owns (or has access to) the large roasters is encouraged to loan them for the Feast, as there are no ovens, and grill space will be at a premium.
  • Vitaliano has obtained permission from the Lions to use wood in lieu of charcoal in the grill-pit, on the condition that he removes any large pieces after the fire dies.
  • There will be two designated runs into town on Saturday:  One at 10:30 a.m. and the other at 1:30 in the afternoon. Ariella will handle that.
  • The Pyxis have volunteered to demo period cooking if they can use a campfire.
  • If we can get the key from the Fair board on the 19th, we can do more advance cleaning and prep. work.
  • Plan for setup Thursday night.
  • Busta will bring his power-washer, in case we need it.
  • Vitaliano can work with holding Court either before or after Feast, but he must know, one way or another.
  • Site tokens recap for Ahlwin’s benefit.
  • Vitaliano gave a quick update on the Feast menu.

The meeting was adjourned at 5:25 p.m.

Quote of the Meeting: “I’m too stupid to be scared.” – Ahlwin, on being a successful Autocrat

____________________________________

August 2007

Present: Kudrun, Brighid, Brilliana, William, Vitaliano, Vettoria, Allyssa, Maewyn, Ahlwin, Valgarth, Ariella

The meeting was called to order at 3:10 p.m. on August 18th, 2007 at the Trempealeau County Fairgrounds, following the site walkthrough with the Fair Board employee.

Officer Reports

Arts and Sciences

  • The A & S list was passed around.
  • A & S night was last Thursday. Kudrun and Vitaliano attended, and we finished all the Autumn Rose site tokens.
  • There will be no A & S nights in September, as Valgarth and Ariella will be on vacation.

Exchequer

  • Event reserve fund is $600 to the negative; shortfall was made up from Available Funds.
  • Funds in the other dedicated accounts should be the same, although Gavin typically spends his annual budget for A.R.
  • Totals in the various accounts run as follows:
Account Assets Total
Available Funds
Available Funds $

1,041.56

Dedicated Funds
Arts & Science $

50.00

Chiurgeon $

75.00

Copies & Postage $

20.00

Event Reserve $

-600.00

Griffin $

45.00

Herald $

50.00

Knight Marshall $

40.00

Minister of Youth $

30.00

Non-Member Surcharge $

90.00

Rapier $

30.00

White Birch $

138.80

Total Dedicated Accounts $

-31.20


Total Assets $

1,010.36


Net Worth $

1,010.36

Herald

  • Brilliana has calligraphied and illuminated the invitations for the Royalty. Showed the one sent to HRM Guilia to the Populace.

Rapier Marshal

  • Upcoming practices will pretty much hew to the usual schedule.
  • Ahlwin has a lead on a winter practice site, namely the basement of a City of Medary building. Will look into this further.

Seneschal

  • Nothing outside of A.R. came to mind, although Kudrun will represent the library (as usual) in the Ettrick Days parade.
  • Brighid volunteered the use of her house for the September meeting, so that will kick off at 2 pm on Sunday, September 16th.

Thrown Weapons Marshal

  • Did thrown weapons at Poor Man’s Pennsic event.
  • Maewyn’s work schedule will be a bit unpredictable for the month of September, so practices will be ad-hoc and posted to the Yahoo! listserve when they are to be held.

Webminister/Chronicler

  • Will be out of town during the September meeting, so she would ask for someone to take notes.
  • Suggested that Kudrun step into her new role as Deputy Chronicler to take notes while Maewyn, as a Deputy Seneschal, can run the meeting. General assent to plan.

New Business

Autumn Rose

  • The pre-event cleaning has been rescheduled. Pre-event site cleaning for Autumn Rose will start at 4:00 p.m. on Tuesday, the 28th of August. If additional cleaning needed, we can also do that on Thursday.
  • Brighid and Brilliana plan to camp at the site Thursday night after helping Vitaliano with bread-baking.
  • Ahlwin will help Brighid load the tractor onto the trailer Tuesday.
  • Ahlwin will pick up bungee cords for holding the liners in place on the garbage cans.
  • We will use 15 trash cans this year; we need to check on the ones in the camping areas more often, though.
  • General around-the-group discussion of who would show up at the site on Friday and when.
  • We have a map of the site from previous years that just needs a little alteration. Kudrun will do this and bring a few copies.
  • The heavy and rapier list fields will be on the grassy areas between the rafters area and the building marked “Merchant’s Building”, with the rapier list being closer to the the rafters.
  • Rapier and heavy fighters will share a list table placed between their areas.
  • T-Bones will be set up by Porter, and parking will not be allowed there on Saturday, although it will be okay for temporary parking on Friday night.
  • The A & S display and silent auction are being moved to the small building on the other side of the rafters area from the lists.
  • Brighid will set up the bocce game under the tree to the side of the A & S building.
  • Stone soup will either be located by Porter or at the corner of the rafters area, whichever is more convenient.
  • Busta has confirmed that he will run the A & S display and silent auction, but will need someone to spell him.
  • Four waterservers, preferably younger folks, will be needed for Feast. Waterservers will need to be at the Feast Hall at 2 p.m. for training. Ariella will create webpage for signup.
  • Vitaliano prefers Feast to be served before Court. Bronislava is Royalty Liason this year, so Ahlwin will contact her to make the arrangements w/HRM.
  • We will use water jugs in lieu of bottles. Vitaliano will lend his to the site, but needs them back in the serving area before 5:30 on Saturday.
  • Gavin will likely bring the initial round Gatorade as well as pickles and oranges; the scheduled supply runs should take care of any shortfalls.
  • Brilliana will take care of the “bathroom basket” after checking with Gavin to see how much he plans to provide out of the Chiurgeon’s funds.
  • Vitaliano asks that folks bring roasters to help with the feast. Please remember to mark them so that covers, inserts, etc. aren’t mixed up.

The meeting was adjourned at 3:51 p.m.

________________________________

September 2007

Present: Ahlwin, Alyssa, Brigid, Kudrun, Maewyn,Vettoria, Vitaliano, Wulfram

Brilliana called the meeting to order at Brighid’s house at 2:08 p.m. on Sunday, September 16th, 2007.

Officer Reports

Arts and Sciences

  • The A & S list was passed around by Kudrun.
  • In England, but we’re not jealous.

Chatelaine

  • There will be more demos! Stay in touch.
  • An A & S night for making loaner garb is in order.

Chiurgeon

  • AWOL. Ransom for his hat has just doubled.

Exchequer

  • Can’t print checks right now as computer is down.
  • Reported Autumn Rose numbers:
    • 183 attendees (23 minors)
    • 117 campers
    • 78 Feast sold
    • 35 non-members
  • Total receipts (including $20 brought to meeting by Ahlwin) $2297.
  • Expenses included $500 for site, $50 for kitchen, something for trash pickup (maybe $300), $63.49 for Porter, a little for bathroom supplies. So we made a few bucks.
  • Gavin refreshed his supplies with officer funds.
  • Totals haven’t changed since 8/31. (Webminister’s Note: Totals not currently available.)

 

Herald

  • Her Autumn Rose court report was in on time.
  • There was little field heraldry at A.R.
  • Reported on HE Astrid’s reason for not being at Autumn Rose as planned, namely a fussy grand-baby.

Rapier Marshal

  • Ahlwin may have a line on a site for winter practices.

Seneschal

  • Nothing new.
  • Kudrun passed off the role to deputy Maewyn, so she could chronicle for Ariella, who is in England and we’re really not the least bit jealous! Right!

Thrown Weapons Marshal

  • Good attendance at AR.
  • Will be at Siege the Day this coming weekend.
  • Will announce practices if rain is needed.

Webminister/Chronicler

  • Also in England. We’re still not jealous. Much.

New Business

Autumn Rose (post-mortem)

  • Weather was perfect!
  • Hornets were baaaaad. Hole in men’s room must be sealed and traps put out early.
  • Grass was long for campers and archery. Need mowing closer to event (or less rain).
  • It would be better if armored & fencers each had their own shelter.
  • It was suggested that TW and archery be placed back-to-back again to share one canopy. (Although the archery area was packed, so the event Archery Marshal may try to veto.)
  • We should talk up combat archery and get people up here for it next year.
  • Children’s activities were successful, especially trivial pursuit and bocce.
  • We dropped the ball on publicity. Posters for local coffeehouses (for example) would be good.
  • We really need a volunteer coordinator.
  • Autocrat (or someone to accept for her) must be in the Northshield/Rokeclif communications loop.
  • Kudrun, Vettoria, and Vitaliano discussed a calendar for AR. Kudrun printed a draft and left them in the printer. (Sigh!) She will post as Yahoo document for group comment.
  • Observation: We don’t have enough members! This thread will be continued below.
  • Next year’s Autumn Rose staff:
    • Event Steward – Brilliana
    • Feast Steward – Vitaliano
    • Other staff, including an assistant steward, will be worked out later.
    • Marshals (including boffer) need to be contacted this fall.
  • Vitaliano made the observation that we really don’t have enough members to do AR. Yet we have two colleges that teach history and performing arts (not including those in Winona) to draw from. There are 32 students studying 13th century garb! Obviously, we need a chatelaine to make contact with these folks!
  • All the other mice piped up, “But who will put the bell on the cat…?” We cleverly convinced Vitaliano that he needed to put his grill back in the van, and elected him Chatelaine with six ayes and one abstention (Alyssa).
  • We also need to get out location on the website – Vernon County is not identified as Rokeclif.
  • Practices would make better demos if we had a sign identifying us, and if there was a person who was not engaged in practice to chat with people.
  • An ad in the newspaper was considered until the cost came up.
  • Pictures of A.R. on our website would be nice. (Webminister’s follow-up note:  Although permission to publish photos of SCA members at SCA events is not strictly required, we are strongly encouraged to obtain written permission from anyone who is recognizable in a published photo. Needless to say, this can take a lot of legwork, particularly in a group photo. And so my preference–apart from sheer laziness–has been to respect the privacy of the guests of our events.)
  • A blog was considered.

Future Event: “Need Meat?”

  • Vitaliano has been itchin’ to have an archery event at Tremplo Archers.
  • The site has 60 acres of woods with several target areas, including 3-D targets. There’s a new clubhouse with 12 roaster circuits!
  • Unfortunately there’s no running water, and we’d need porta-potties.
  • Vitaliano will be in contact with the club to see if thrown weapons might be OK.
  • This would be a good opportunity for classes, such as the required MiT/Chirurgeon class and a class on running tournaments.
  • The theme would be a spring hunting party – seeking a new supply of meat as winter’s supply dwindles.
  • We voted to hold the event, named “Need Meat?” on April 26, with Vitaliano as Event Steward.
  • Many options for food were discussed, including inviting other Shires.
  • It will be a demo/event, since we can’t keep members of Tremplo Archers out – but we could invite them in to see how the SCA does archery.
  • Site fee by donation, with a set charge for lunch was considered, since non-member surcharge would be a major nightmare if locals were allowed on the range (they’d have to sign waivers and pay site plus surcharge).

Possible Future Event:  Northshield Coronation

  • Ahlwin will investigate potential sites to hold a spring coronation whenever it comes around on the rotation.
  • This fall’s Coronation (at The Mead in Wisconsin Rapids) used the resources of the hotel for many of the jobs (cleanup, setup, waterbearing, feast, etc.) that we do ourselves at AR. We might be able to pull it off!

Other New Business

  • Brighid has been talking with the Kingdom Seneschal about becoming Kingdom Youth Minister. She’s researching period children’s games, stories, garb for the Kingdom youth website.
  • The next Populace meeting will be at 2:00 p.m. on Sunday, October 21st at the La Crosse Public Library meeting room (downstairs). This is tentative, as the Library and Kudrun are playing phone tag.
  • Populace meetings for November 18th and December 16th are also set in Jello. Locations to be determined, but we are hoping for the La Crosse Public Library.

The meeting was adjourned at 4:22 p.m.

Wolfram brought a wonderful period cake covered in honey. We (and Brigid’s bees) were grateful. Thank you, Brigid, for hosting and feeding us!

Webminister’s Note: Many thanks to Kudrun for taking such thorough notes at the meeting, and also thanks to Maewyn for running the meeting as Deputy Seneschal, which freed up Kudrun for her chronicling.

___________________________________

October 2007

Present: Alyssa, Brigid, Brilliana, Kudrun, Maewyn, Vettoria, Vitaliano

Meeting was heralded to order at the La Crosse Public Library, Main Branch. Kudrun forgot to appoint a note-taker, so she is doing penance by writing this up.

Officer Reports

Chatelaine

  • Talking with Silfren mere about a demo at St Mary’s University in Winona* and with school officials (though in GET and Holmen the school folks are working on money issues right now, so they’re not terribly responsive). LaCrosse colleges don’t call back.
  • There was some discussion about what we could present in a demo.
  • Chatelaine reported that people have asked when there’d be another Pie Snit.

Exchequer

  • There’s 1825.07 in available funds, and $1258.50 in dedicated funds.
  • We still owe Autumn Rose non-member surcharge, garbage, and a little from youth funds.
  • Exchequer’s computer is officially dead, so she’s ordered checks that can be written by hand.
  • Totals in accounts, current as of 30 September 2007:
Account Assets Total
Available Funds
Available Funds $

1,825.07

Dedicated Funds
Arts & Science $

50.00

Chiurgeon $

29.28

Copies & Postage $

20.00

Event Reserve $

800.00

Griffin $

45.00

Herald $

50.00

Knight Marshal $

40.00

Minister of Youth $

30.00

Non-Member Surcharge $

90.00

Rapier $

30.00

White Birch $

74.22

Total Dedicated Accounts $

1,258.50


Total Assets $

3,083.57


Net Worth $

3,083.57

Herald

  • Managed to file her report despite the new Northshield website.

Minister of Youth

  • Brighid is compiling resources that can be used on the Northshield website. Apparently only six groups have a youth officer.
  • There was some discussion of an event featuring activities primarily for youth, but that would invite participation by parents as well.
  • Brigid is looking into potential sites, but no action has been taken yet.

Thrown Weapons Marshal

  • Marshaled at Siege the Day.
  • Encouraged us to encourage Ahlwin to get the paperwork together for the Armory. We can use it for embroidery practice if we don’t have any fighters.

New Business

Future Event: “Need Meat?”

  • There are some issues with site that need to be ironed out, but Vitaliano is working on it.

Other New Business

  • Kudrun has reserved the LaCrosse Library Trustees Room for November 18th and December 16th.
  • Though these have traditionally been potlucks in homes, the people at the meeting were unable to offer their homes, so we’ll meet without eating. (Perhaps we can do our cooking for A & S Nights.)
  • Kudrun forgot to mention it, but since there’s been a call for another research day, and since the Northshield calendar is pretty empty, she’s willing to call one for November 18, the date of the now-defunct “Fogmoon” event. 9AM-5PM, Saturday at LaCrosse Public Library.

Some wag suggested we have a war with Silfren Mere over Winona. “We win! You get it.” Let it be noted that the unidentified speaker is from Winona and the comment was facetious.

______________________________________

November 2007

Present: Gavin, Brigid, Brilliana, Kudrun, Maewyn, Ariella and guests

Someone interested in joining the SCA showed up at the meeting, uncle in tow. Many questions about the rules for minors’ participation were asked. Introductions were made, and the major procedural points of the meeting were narrated for explication.

Meeting was heralded to order at 2:05 pm on November 18th at the La Crosse Public Library, Main Branch.

Officer Reports

Arts & Sciences

  • Not present, but Mrs. A & S reminded the assembled that the next A & S Night will be Thursday, December 13th, starting at 6:30 p.m. at Valgarth and Ariella’s house.
  • The list was passed around.

Chiurgeon

  • Prepping for his Domesday.
  • Please don’t give him any more band-aids:  He has enough to last for years.

Exchequer (via Kudrun)

  • Kudrun and Ariella took care of arranging the money-order for the non-member surcharge owed for Autumn Rose.
  • The Exchequer’s hard drive died, shortly before she absconded to Nordskogen with the new Chatelaine (her spouse).
  • We will deal with the latter situation in a few minutes; for the meantime, we need to make certain that any outstanding bills from Autumn Rose are paid.

Herald

  • Nothing to report

Thrown Weapons Marshal

  • Nothing going on right now, not surprisingly.

Webminister/Chronicler

  • Reports for both offices coming up Dec. 1st.
  • Gave website and email address to the interested person, b/c he has only been to www.sca.org.

New Business

Event:  “Need Meat?”

  • The Autocrat for the event moved to Nordskogen, and he being the point of contact with the event site, the event is effectively cancelled.
  • Vitaliano needs to have the event announcement removed from the Northshield Calendar.
  • Valgarth and Ariella will probably be joining the La Crosse area Rod & Gun Club in January to have a place for archery practice. They will scope out the facilities for their event potential thereafter.

Potential Event:  ”Between a Rock and a Hard Place”

  • Talk about holding a joint, centrally-located event with Rockwall (the other “rock” themed Shire in the region) has been floating around for some time.
  • The idea of hosting it at the Wilton site traditionally used by Coille Stromeil has been mooted, but we wouldn’t want to host anything too close to their regular spring event.
  • A fall event, however, is out of the question, b/c we’ll be too burned out from Autumn Rose.
  • Further discussion/brainstorming is clearly needed, and no decision was made.

Potential Event:  ”Officer’s Day”

  • Toki (a former ‘Cliffie) put out a call on the Northshield Net for bids for the event.
  • Rokeclif hosted the event once before, at a building (the Kumm Center) at WWTC. We didn’t even use all the classroom space last time, so we would certainly have the resources to spare.
  • We would need something like four classrooms, the cafeteria, and the student lounge for a children’s room.
  • We wouldn’t have a Feast, partly because of the logistics and partly because this is an event in which people day-trip in mundane clothes anyway.
  • Gavin is a student at WWTC, so he will look into rental rates and terms, and report back to the group.

“Upsetting the Fruit Basket of Officers”

  • Kudrun talked to Maewyn (an accountant by trade and training) prior to the meeting about changing the game plan to have him take over the office of Exchequer instead of Seneschal after New Years’. He graciously agreed, contingent upon Populace approval.
  • Kudrun doesn’t think that continuing as Seneschal will be that difficult, so she is willing to stay on unless someone is more willing to take on the office. A coup failed to materialize.
  • Kingdom laws require that a Shire have three officers:  Seneschal, Exchequer, and one other officer from the official menu. So we should be set there.
  • Kudrun is also willing to take up the office of Chronicler as planned, starting in 2008. However, she does not feel comfortable with also tackling on its step-sibling office of Webminister.
  • Vitaliano had been slated to take on that office in January, but with his move out of Shire, Ariella will stay on. However, she is planning to make the site more self-serve, to curtail her workload. The main points of upkeep are the meeting minutes and calendar. If Kudrun wants to post meeting minutes online, they will work something out. Otherwise, minutes won’t be posted online. The calendar page will be modified to allow Shire members with a username and password to add events like practices, meetings, etc. to the calendar.
  • The assembled Populace voted to approve the above reconfiguration of officers, with the one traditional and obligatory nay.

Other New Business

  • With the offices shuffling, would a new Exchequer be interested in switching the bank through which the checking account is held? The service has been rather hit or miss lately. After some discussion of what we really need from the account, Maewyn agreed to check into alternatives.
  • The December Populace meeting will also be held at the Library’s Main Branch, starting at 2:00 p.m. on Sunday, Dec. 16th.
  • The January meeting will be a potluck, held at Maewyn’s house.

The meeting was officially adjourned at 3:20, and was followed by a number of questions from and for the potential new member and his newly-arrived parental unit.

_________________________________________

December 2007

Present: Maewyn, Brighid, Valgarth and Ariella

Meeting was called to order at 2:00 pm on 16 December 2007 at the La Crosse Public Library.

Officer Reports

Arts & Sciences

  • Only one person at last two A & S nights, none the last time. A & S Night is being dropped unless someone else wants to host it.
  • Valgarth is dropping office of A & S, effective Jan 1st.
  • He is willing to work with folks on a one-on-one basis. Please contact him if interested.

Exchequer

  • Maewyn has been in contact with Vettoria, who will send him copy of work while in progress; not doing Domesday himself.
  • Vettoria has given him some information and some tips and he’s gone through the handbook.
  • Per the handbook, we try not to write any checks in Dec. b/c of Domesday; if anyone needs reimbursement, maybe a draw would be best.
  • He has picked up pamphlets from various banks for moving the account. Merchants Bank seems promising. The process will pick up again after Domesday.
  • Valgarth isn’t certain that he was reimbursed for garbage at AR. Maewyn will check into that.
  • Maewyn needs to be set up as a signatory on the account.

Thrown Weapons Marshal

  • Maewyn’s report is in.
  • Current Kingdom TW Marshal’s term is officially up Dec. 10th. Maewyn is thinking about picking up the position if it is officially vacated.
  • Ariella is still planning to talk to the Rod and Gun club about archery. She will check about “guest” policy and also ask about thrown weapons, if only to see the looks on their faces. ;-)

Webminister/Chronicler

  • Ariella and Kudrun haven’t filled out or sent in the paperwork to Kingdom to transfer the Chronicler’s office to Kudrun. That will be done before or after the next meeting.
  • Both reports were turned in.
  • Will send meeting notes to Kudrun.
  • Still setting up the Shire calendar so that authorized folks can submit events to it. Will set up user names and passwords for folks who would host/organize stuff on a one-on-one basis.
  • Reminder that the donations for “The White Birch” are generally counted in January. We’re still sending out a few paper copies each month and postage adds up.

Youth Minister

  • Brighid met with other youth ministers and Kindom officers at Boar’s Head, where they discussed trying to interest more people in the position of Youth Minister and in family-friendly activities in general.
  • She has already discussed with Kudrun the idea of setting up the office as an official Shire office. A vote ont his was deferred to January due to small turnout and lack of official Seneschal.
  • Brighid proposed hosting a family moot in April at Taylor or Ettrick. April would be ideal, being before the Kingdom Calendar generally fills up. Unfortunately, won’t know whether she’s available to run the event until the end of January, which is cutting it too close for April of 2008.
  • One alternative, proposed by Maewyn, is to go head-to-head with Pennsic, which has the downside of having the Shire hold two events in a month. Instead, maybe we could the moot/event combine with AR, running it simultaneously, not piggybacked like NASMA.
  • Maewyn asked about the status of the background check. Brighid said that it’s going forward, but the process and who will be contracted for the checks is still very much up in the air. Even who’s paying for it is still in question. Right now the priority is to build interest in the whole idea of youth activities.

New Business

Potential Event:  ”Officer’s Day”

  • Based on his post to the Yahoo list-serve, it sounds like Gavin is still playing phone tag with WWTC.
  • Toki posted reminder on Friday that the bid will have to be submitted very soon, so we may well be out of time by now.

Event:  Autumn Rose

  • Autocrat and other ‘crats were not present, so no planning took place.
  • Maewyn pointed out the fact that we don’t have a Feastocrat. Does anyone want to step up?

Other New Business

  • The January meeting at Maewyn’s house. It’s a potluck. Have two steps, but he can work around it. Contact Maewyn directly with any accessiblity concerns.
  • Keeping people and families interested?  how? Have sent info. by email, newsletters.
  • Who has the loaner garb? Maewyn will post a note to the Yahoo! list-serve because we don’t know whether or not any was handed off when the Chatelaine office changed hands and then was dropped.

The meeting adjourned at 2:49 p.m. Many thanks to Maewyn for deputizing as Seneschal and for bringing a wide assortment of homemade cookies!