January 2008

Present: Maewyn, Kudrun, Brilliana, Brighid, Valgarth, Ariella

The meeting was called to order at 2:25 p.m. on Sunday, 20 January 2008 at Maewyn’s home

Officer Reports

Arts & Sciences

  • Valgarth’s report is in and he’s done as A & S officer
  • Brilliana would like to step down as Herald and take over, if the group approves.
  • Brilliana left room to check potluck contribution, and was voted into office. (All ayes except the person who made the motion–just for irony’s sake.)

Exchequer

  • Don’t know whether the 4th Quarter and Domesday have been submitted.
  • Maewyn’s emails have not been answered. We may have to create the reports ourselves.
  • Valgarth recommended certified mail if necessary. Seneschal needs to sign Domesday, so we need the buffer time.
  • Kudrun will call her tonight, because it has to be in the mail to the Kingdom Exchequer by the 25th (Friday).
  • Maewyn has done some legwork finding us a new bank. Merchants Bankand Marine Credit Union are the front-runners.
  • Seque about Patriot Act and signatories having to be verified in person, and Kingdom/Regional Exchequer having to be signatories, and those two things clashing may trip up us switching banks right away.
  • Maewyn will try to set up a savings account to earn at least a little interest on the money.
  • Kudrun and Ariella will meet at Associated Bank on Thursday afternoon to draw out enough money to set up the new account, and then take it to the new bank. Maewyn will have things set up at Merchants Bank.

Herald/Pursuivant

  • Domesday is in.
  • Office of Book Herald is pretty wasted on the group this small because everyone who wants a badge/device/name already has it.
  • She would like to step down for everything except the vocal parts at Autumn Rose and any other events.

Seneschal

  • Cybele asked her to inform the group that D.T. was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. He’ll be undergoing radiation and chemotherapy.
  • For the longer term, Cybele and D.T. are planning to move to a condo. in Winona to make living easier. They would appreciate help moving when that time comes.

Thrown Weapons Marshal

  • I’ts too cold to practice unless we travel to other groups who have winter sites. Jara, for instance.

Webminister/Chronicler

  • The new calendar is up; Kudrun has tested it a little. Basically, anyone with a valid login can submit an event to the calendar and have it posted in real-time–i.e. they don’t have to wait for the Webminister to manually edit the calendar file and upload it.
  • More calendar features are in the works, including adding driving directions and maps tabs to the event popup window.
  • Ariella is handing off the Chronicler archives to Kudrun today. [insert appropriately cheesey movie villain laughter]

Youth Minister

  • Brighid has received absolutely no information from any level of the SCA re: who is doing background checks, how much it will cost.
  • Valgarth moved to table the whole issue of having an official group Youth Marshal until the official word has come down.
  • Maewyn brought up Kudrun’s idea of alloting group funds to pay for the background check whenever the who and how much has been settled. That saves us time.
  • Move to create the official office so that we can allocate funds. Ayed with one nay.
  • Brighid nominated for the new office. Ayed with one nay.
  • $50 allocated for the Youth Marshal fund by general assent.

New Business

Event:  Autumn Rose

  • Bronislava’s health are currently preventing another round of Autocrat brain-dumping.
  • The question of having a viable Feast Steward for A.R. had been raised in December. The current consensus is that distance and communication difficulties make it pretty unfeasible for Vitaliano to be Steward again this year.
  • Maewyn volunteered to take that on. The general consensus was that an overly complex/expensive feast is not what we want. “The Peasants Feast” was suggested. Maewyn will start researching recipes/redactions/translations.
  • Last year, the Equestrians had until a certain date to let us know whether they would attend, b/c of the extra insurance. They didn’t, but we will try again. This should be done through their Marshal.
  • The Sahara Desert Dancers would like to come back in memory/honor of Karl. Bronislava will take the lead on that.
  • Some folks from Coille Stormeil have volunteered to help out. Valgarth pointed out that Hawthorne really seemed to enjoy Marshalling; we will specifically ask him if he’s interested in doing it again this year.
  • Mystic Dragon has volunteered to help with Security again this year. (Do we have a contact person there?)
  • As usual, this is a demo. But do we want to do anything with the “demo” part of it.
  • Brilliana would like to see more Artisans’ Row. How do we draw attention to that? Line of sight kind of thing. Valgarth pointed out that the interest has been dwindling over the past few years.
  • Plan to ask Aine if she would be willing to organize one like she did at Novice’s Day.
  • Ariella’s spiel about asking people face-to-face (not just posting a shout-out on the web) to perform, display, participate. After receiving and affirmative, it’s important to follow up in the week or three before A.R. so that we aren’t wondering the day of who will actually be there.
  • Brilliana would like to hand out event flyers (mundanely and at SCA events) this year to drum up interest. Kudrun volunteered to typeset these, and would like to know who’s definitely attending what events, so that that she can hand off flyers.
  • Kudrun will put the event on the Northshield Calendar.
  • Will reuse leftover tokens from last year. Valgarth will check into how many we have left.

Other New Business

  • Brighid’s husband received his clearance to move to the U.S. from Canada. He’s interested in picking up rapier again after he settles in.
  • No one has been nominated to be Chatelaine because those folks move away. We can’t think of anyone we want to get rid of, so no one is still nominated.
  • There has been no interest in reviving the office of Group Marshal (for heavy weapons).
  • Various Change of Officer forms filled out and signed. Although her former office will be empty until further notice, Brilliana will notify Kingdom Herald for courtesy’s sake.
  • The next two meetings will be held at the La Crosse Public Library. The first will be held in the big room, the next will be held in the Trustees’ Room because of a recital scheduled for the big room.

The meeting was adjourned at 3:49 p.m., and followed by a potluck featuring Scottish eggs, chili, venison and barley, fruit, homemade wine, cheese and sausage, stromboli, chips, and freshly baked bread.

_________________________________________

February Meeting was snowed out

_________________________________________

March 2008

Present: Maewyn, Kudrun, Brilliana, Brighid, Ahlwin, Valgarth, Ariella, and guests

The meeting was called to order at 2:00 p.m. on Sunday, 16 March 2008 at the La Crosse Public Library – Main Branch

Officer Reports

Arts & Sciences

  • The A & S list was passed around.
  • Brilliana would like to get teachers, if she knew what folks would be interested in. If someone would be willing to travel to Rokeclif to teach, we could volunteer to reimburse travel expenses.
  • Question about whether or not there is a budget for A ∓ S. (Yes there is.)

Exchequer

  • Domesday was received on time, and the numbers added up.
  • Maewyn is now officially the Shire Exchequer. (Huzzah!)
  • Kudrun picked up the box of paperwork from Vettoria, and will transfer it to Maewyn after the meeting.
  • Maewyn has received checks from the bank, so that expenses can be reimbursed.
  • Kudrun and Ariella need to transfer the balance of the group’s funds from the old bank to the new one.

Marshal of Fence

  • Ahlwin is now officially a full Rapier Marshal (Huzzah!)
  • He is building a shop for himself anyway, so he figures he might as well enable it for a practice site. That won’t be finished before the end of winter, however.
  • He has not made it to a Jaravellir practice, but that’s always a possibility.
  • Upcoming practices will depend on weather and the bogginess of the ground.
  • He is not able to submit his report online due to difficulties with the Kingdom website.

Minister of Youth

  • Brighid has passed the background check (paid for by the Kingdom), so she can be a full warranted Youth Minister (for which she has submitted the paperwork).
  • She is currently in the process of building a portable puppet stage. She would like to have parents make puppets and children write the plays for the involvement. [Some side discussion of period puppet shows and stage designs.]
  • A mouse (or mice) took up residence in the Youth Minister’s box overwinter, but she’s cleaned that out.

Seneschal

  • The group by Brainerd, MN is requesting assistance for a demo scheduled for the the weekend of July 6th, which is (alack) the weekend before Warlords and Warriors Day.
  • A non-SCA group by Viroqua is requesting artisans and musicians for a Viking themed event (“Woden Thor Medieval Festival and Joust”) to be held Memorial Day weekend. The consensus was that our members’ personae/interests are not particularly compatible with what they’re seeking, so we likely will not attend.
  • The Northwatch is short on funds, and one of the fundraisers they’ve mooted is to have groups sponsor pages at $200 per issue, or $10 per page.
  • [Synopsis of the discussion subsequent to Ahlwin asking whether we could be guaranteed sponsorship of the centerfold has been omitted as not suitable for a family publication...]
  • Price was deemed too steep for our budget, particularly as we made a substantial donation to Kingdom fairly recently. Donations in any amount can still be made, and Coille Stormeil is in fact donating the proceeds of the silent auction of their next event.
  • The possibility of challenging other groups or using penny-jars at AR was discussed, but nothing was decided.

Webminister

  • Her quarterly report was filed on time, and filed online, now that the Kingdom Website’s Privacy Policy has been changed to something much less intrusive than before.

New Business

Event:  Autumn Rose

  • Brilliana has not contacted the Equestrians, but needs to do that soon, as the insurance paperwork takes a long time.
  • T-Bones is pretty much a lock, and we will talk to The Milkshake Ladies at the Fair in July.
  • We will talk to the Lions about renting the kitchen when we’re at the Fair.
  • Brilliana needs to talk to Bronislava about how to contact the Middle Eastern dancers.
  • Maewyn has started to look at recipes; he will test them on himself first, then have the group try them. The June meeting would be a little too late for that, but one of the Thrown Weapons practices in early June is a possibility. Ideally, he’d like to have about ten people–the equivalent of a table.
  • Maewyn doesn’t think that buffet style will work out, simply because people’s tastes are too unpredictable, and the portion sizes are nearly impossible to control.
  • Alhwin volunteered to be Royalty Liason.
  • The question of whether to recycle last year’s site tokens or make new ones will be picked up the Yahoo listserve, possibly tabled until the next meeting b/c Ariella forgot to remind Valgarth to check the number left over from 2007.
  • Maewyn would like Byle’s help for Feast. Ahlwin will contact Byle to have Byle contact Maewyn.
  • Brighid will be Information Officer; she and Brilliana will work on the flier, after Kudrun supplies Brilliana with a flier from previous years as a guideline.
  • Ahlwin will Marshal the Rapier, but Maewyn will have to find a replacement, because of course he’s Feast Steward. [Insert jokes about combining Thown Weapons with chopping/slicing for Feast.]
  • Ariella will supply Brilliana with the usual list of questions that have to be answered if the event is to have a website.

Other New Business

  • Introductions for the returning SCAer (and husband) who dropped by to meet the Shire.
  • The April Populace Meeting will be held at the Library in the basement on Sunday, April 20th at 2:00 pm.
  • The May Populace Meeting will likewise be held at the Library on Sunday, May 18th.
  • Ahlwin mooted the idea of having the group host the Rapier Academy event. The Taylor site would be appropriate, but its big defect is that the nearest hotels are in Black River Falls or Osseo. Brilliana pointed out that people have camped indoors on the gym floor.
  • The Rapier Academy events are typically held in November, with this years’ even probably already spoken-for. 2009′s event would be a possibility, though.

The meeting was adjourned at 3:39 p.m.

Quote of the Meeting: “Hey baby, let’s get hitched: I can get a hundred more gallons.” – Maewyn   (For context:   Legally, an individual can brew/vint 200 gallons of beer/wine per year. For families, the limit is 300 gallons.)

______________________________________________

April 2008

Present: Maewyn, Kudrun, Brilliana, Brighid, Lisa, and Ariella

The meeting was called to order at 2:08 p.m. on 20 April 2008 at the La Crosse Area Public Library – Main Branch.

Officer Reports

Arts & Sciences

  • A & S sheet was passed around.
  • Would like to see the list published in the Birch so that folks are aware of what others are doing.
  • Her membership is in order, although the membership card was mis-mailed.

Exchequer

  • $ 3,129.45 before checks are written today.
  • Looking at dedicated funds–can we eliminate or combine some of these.
    • Do we need copying and postage? Fliers. Birch has separate fund, although that went waaay down since we switched to PDF format.
    • Brilliana wouldn’t need all the money in that fund, but we’ll keep it as is.
    • Herald’s fund isn’t really needed, particularly without an active Herald.
    • Knight Marshal and Rapier and Youth Marshal and Archery could tap the same fund, so we could dump Knight Marshal into a renamed Martial Activities fund with a top balance of $70.
    • Needs to check into what Birch was supposed to be. We were at something at like $75 last September. Let’s leave it at $50, because our costs are so compartively low.
  • Voted on these as a batch. Passed with the obligatory nay.
  • Checks to be written today, but we have paper checks.

Minister of Youth

  • SCA Corporate rec’d her background check, and she’s officially Youth Minister, so far as Milpitas is concerned.
  • The person who was helping her with the puppet theatre has unfortunately passed away. If anyone is good with a scrollsaw, please let her know.
  • Is weeding out the Youth Box–broken crayons, rumpled paper. Kudrun may have more materials for that in Taylor.
  • Needs to repair Floppy the Dragon. Would like to try a game based on a Gryphon.

Thrown Weapons Marshal

  • Summer practices will depend on how much his wife feels like working after their baby is born.
  • Digression into archery facilities discussion.
  • Depending on the baby situation, he could also host A & S as well as Thrown Weapons.

Webminister

  • Nothing except meetings-related stuff.
  • Her quarterly report is due June 1st.
  • She is still planning to step down at the end of the year, period. She’ll try to have the website set up to be as self-maintaining as possible by then, in case no one steps up by that time.

New Business

Event:  Autumn Rose

  • Brilliana hasn’t been able to meet up with Bronislava to find out about the Middle Eastern dancing.
  • Has contacted the Equestrians, but no definitive answer yet. We will need an answer by June 1st, so we can get the insurance in order.
  • Tarach and Brilliana have been trading emails about an A & S challenge for the event.
  • Needs to handle the garbage and kitchen.
  • Tax season is over, so Maewyn will be able to look at and try out recipes. Is interested in trying a bleu cheese pie.
  • Brilliana is thinking of theming this year’s event after the Phoenix. Joking about basting Head Table’s roast chicken in Everclear for a pyrotechnic flourish to serving: “Oh–you ordered Original Recipe? Sorry, you’re getting Extra Crispy.” – Maewyn.
  • Valgarth posted a count of the leftover site tokens to the list, which was something like a hundred and ten of the wooden leaves with ribbon threaded through them. That should be enough to cover non-feast. All we would need would be the eighty feast tokens. She was thinking wooden rose beads to keep it consistent. Ariella will ask Valgarth to find the same website and see what the prices are and throw the price quote out to the list. Brilliana will scoot out to Hobby Lobby to check out their prices.
  • House Mystic Dragon has committed to doing Security, and wanted to know whether we want/need help with set-up.
  • Galesville will have police officers on patrol in the event.

Other New Business

  • The May meeting will be at the Library, per last month.
  • It’d be nice to have the June (on the 15th) meeting outside. Cameron Park–the little one across from the Food Co-op–would work, with Lisa’s house as a rain site.
  • July meeting will be up the Fairgrounds (during the Fair) as usual. (The Sunday of the Fair weekend falls on July 27th, rather than the 20th, similar to previous years.) The August meeting, as usual, will be at the Fairgrounds for the pre-Autumn Rose site walkthrough.

The meeting was adjourned at 3:20 p.m., after which checks were written and signed. Thanks to Kudrun for bringing goodies from the Food Co-op.

_________________________________________

May 2008

Present: Brilliana, Lisa, Kudrun, Amata, Trish, Bronislava, Gavin, Valgarth, Ariella

After introductions for the benefit of newer and returning folks, the meeting was called to order at 2:08 p.m. on 18 May 2008 at the La Crosse Area Public Library – Main Branch.

Officer Reports

Arts & Sciences

  • A & S sheet was passed around.
  • Autumn Rose has occupied most of her attention.

Book Herald (unofficial office)

  • Amata also likes to do non-heraldry research, so let her know (on the list) if you need help tracking down information.

Chiurgeon

  • Hasn’t done anything since Autumn Rose of last year.
  • Don’t buy anymore band-aids. He has plenty–even has edible ones. No, seriously.
  • Gavin can’t report to higher officer b/c the Kingdom doesn’t have one right now.

Chronicler

  • There was some discussion of Trish providing cover-images for The Birch, as she did for the pre-Pie Snit II issue.

Seneschal

  • We have the P.O. Box box back, although not before the bank statement was sent up to the Twin Cities.
  • Kudrun and Ariella went to Associated Bank to transfer the balance of the funds to Merchant’s Bank, but they didn’t have us listed, and Kudrun didn’t have a recent bank statement to show them.

Webminister

  • Her quarterly report is due June 1st.

New Business

Event:  Autumn Rose

  • The Equestrians will be attending. They want to know what time we want them to do their main demo. Brilliana was thinking 1:00 p.m. would be optimal.
  • Hosting the Equestrians means that we have to get extra insurance. Bronislava has an email address for the insurance folks. It may also be off the main SCA website.
  • No definite word on the Sahara Desert Dancers, although they would prefer to dance earlier in the day. Can we talk them into dancing during Feast?
  • Bronislava has talked with Coille Stromeil re: Saturday morning breakfast. The current word is that Morgan’s still on for biscuits and gravy. Brilliana will email Maewyn to contact Morgan.
  • Access to the Lion’s Kitchen has not been set up. Typically the Feastocrat arranges that during the Fair. Maewyn’s occupied, so Kudrun recommended putting a shout-out on the Yahoo list for help from Sarra and/or Anora.
  • Bronislava will take a look at Hobby Lobby for rose-related beads for the Feast tokens.
  • Once the supplies are purchased, we need to have a work moot to put the Feast tokens together. Brilliana was thinking that we could use the time that would otherwise be spent making regular site tokens sewing generic green and yellow banners to spiff up the Feast Hall. Amata and Lisa said they’d keep an eye out for bargain fabric in Shire colors.
  • The recital room at the Library or the Party Room are options for the work moot, with the Party Room being preferred because of its kitchen and the longer available hours. Let’s go with the 14th of June in the Party Room. 11 a.m. is the starting time. Ariella will re-post the directions to the Party Room.
  • Brilliana floated misc. ideas for activities to spice up the event:
    • Find obscure artifacts and ask people what they are. (Kudrun and Ariella should be able to come with up with ideas.)
    • Duct tape A & S competition for the fighters. Extra points for documentation. If HRH Raito attends, he would be our prime candidate for judge.
    • Quest for the Holy Grail-themed scavenger hunt for the non-kids. We don’t necessarily want to award non-period stuff during the demo., though.
  • Bronislava will babysit the A & S competition and silent auction. Brilliana will need ping the Northshield list for Laurels/celebrity judge (in tandem with the populace vote) to judge the competition. Brilliana would like to structure the judging criteria so that bonus points are awarded for Rokeclif-themed entries.
  • No word from Maewyn whether or not he’s found someone to fill in for him while he’s busy making Feast.
  • Ariella will email Hawthorn’s email address to Brilliana so she can ping him about marshalling heavy weapons tournament.
  • Valgarth will set up the dumpsters again this year. Question of which size is appropriate. We’ll go with the larger one (8-yard) to be on the safe side.
  • Courtesy baskets were very much appreciated last year, so we’ll try that again this year. Brilliana will scope the dollar store for the best deals.
  • Earlier cleaning will depend on Lucas’s schedule; we’ll deal with that at the Fair.
  • Brilliana will bring a couple of flier mockups to the next meeting for folks to look at.
  • Water-servers in addition to regular servers would take the load off the latter: Ariella will add two slots to the usual servers on the volunteer sign-up web page.
  • Do-it-yourself dishwashing with a couple Rubbermaid tubs would cut down on the folks who come to the kitchen to rinse their stuff. However, that should be outside or Feast Hall cleanup will be icky. Make sure that the presence of the tubs announced, and that the tubs are clearly labeled so that people aren’t washing in the rinse water and vice-versa.
  • Bronislava’s Mom again volunteered to to decorate.

Other New Business

  • Lisa’s not been able to afford to travel; is there any way that the group would be interested in getting together more frequently than the monthly meeting? The short answer was put out an invitation on the Yahoo! list.
  • The June meeting will be held in the park across from the Food Co-op (Cameron). Rain location is Lisa’s house. Directions will be posted online.
  • The July meeting will be a week later than usual at the Fairgrounds. Garb is encouraged.

The meeting was adjourned at 3:46 p.m.

____________________________________

June 2008

Present: Brilliana, Failend (Lisa), Kudrun, Maewyn

Meeting came to some semblance of order at Copeland Park.

Officer Reports

There being no particular officer stuff going on, we fell to a discussion of Autumn Rose.

New Business

Event:  Autumn Rose

  • Equestrians are planning some great pageantry for the demo part of Autumn Rose, so Brilliana has scheduled their parade through the grounds for 1PM. The rest of the demo can plan activities around this.
  • Musicians and heralds will be needed.
  • Dancers are iffy.
  • There has been no response from Laurels for A&S judging. If no one will judge, we can still have a display.
  • Brilliana would like signs for directing people and for a schedule.
  • The check for added insurance was signed and handed to Brilliana.
  • Other activities discussed:
    • “Fighters only” A&S contest
    • Adult scavenger hunt
    • More banners wanted
    • Pyxis encampment
    • A&S 50 Challenge display
  • Ad deadline is July 1st.
  • Maewyn has been a bit busy to try recipes, but is planning a feast sampler for July 19 or 26. We’ll do other A&S activities (banner making) then as well.
  • Next meeting will be at the Trempealeau County Fairgrounds in Galesville during the fair. We need to contact fair staff and Lions Club at that time.

Webminister’s Note: Many thanks to Kudrun for taking notes in my absence!

____________________________________________

July 2008

Present: Brilliana, Brighid, Bronislava, Gorm, Elie, Kudrun, Ariella

Meeting came to some semblance of order circa 2:15 p.m. on July 26th at the Trempeleau County Fairgrounds after an informal inspection of the Fair and some sporadic leafletting. Milkshakes may or may not have been involved.

Officer Reports

None: We’re too obsessed with Autumn Rose just now.

New Business

Event:  Autumn Rose

  • Brilliana has not seen T-Bones lately, and his phone number is currently (and ominously) out of service. We need to have a backup, even if that means two lunch vendors. Points discussed:
    • Most, if not nearly all, vendors want solid estimates of sales before committing.
    • Asking the Lions isn’t an option b/c we rent their kitchen to cook Feast.
    • Fundraiser sales (e.g. Scouts, 4-H) need to have a licensed food service person supervising.
    • The “roach coach” option was discussed–the only question being whether anyone would be local enough to make that worth their while.
  • The public demo will run from 11 a.m. until 4 p.m.
  • The children’s Scavenger Hunt (open to all children), will run from 11 a.m. until 2 p.m.
  • Kudrun will start something demo-ish for Archery at 11 a.m.
  • The Treasure Hunt (adults, SCA only, themed on
  • Monty Python’s Holy Grail, will start at noon Saturday and run until 3:30 p.m.
  • The Equestrian Emprise demo. is slated for 1 p.m. on Saturday.
  • Puppet show can start at 2:30 or 3:00, after the Equestrians finish up.
  • Prizes for the Treasure Hunt and tournaments will be handed out at Court. (The Scavenger Hunt prizes will be awarded earlier in the day because
  • No confirmations whatsoever from performers, despite shout-outs to the Northshield Hall.
  • Bronislava is handling the A & S display. The Silent Auction can go in the same building. If a list of confirmed donations is received, it will be posted online.
  • We don’t know yet whether Maewyn has found a substitute for Thrown Weapons marshalling while he cooks Feast. We will follow up with Maewyn next Sunday at the test feast and work moot.
  • Test Feast is August 3rd at Maewyn’s house. The consensus is that local folks will only be day-tripping to Poor Man’s Pennsic, and so will be able to attend.
  • We have some banners–in various sizes–and Failend is working on more. This segued into a discussion of the Feast Hall decoration in general. Bronislava’s mom is still planning to make the decorations.
  • The question of whether Their Majesties will bring the royal pavilion hasn’t been answered. In any case, we will reserve the usual exhibit building for them.
  • The press release should go out to the local papers in early August.
  • Ariella will confirm with Valgarth that Hilltoppers has already been contacted for the dumpster(s).
  • Kirsta and Ariella will sit Troll on Friday night; Ariella will handle it Saturday.
  • Kudrun will bring stone soup. Bread and cheese to go with that would be appreciated.
  • Kudrun was “army-volunteered” to handle the interview.
  • Seonag’s volunteered to sell breakfast on Saturday.
  • No one knows yet whether Morgan has been asked to do the traditional biscuits and gravy for Sunday morning breakfast. Maewyn has the means of contacting him, but we don’t know whether this has been done.
  • The August meeting, as usual, will be the inspection. Arrangements have already been made with Lucas. Cleaning will probably not happen at that time. That will more likely be the weekend thereafter (August 23rd and 24th, depending on when we can get the keys from Lucas).
  • The key for the Lions Kitchen will have to be obtained separately. Kudrun knows where the key for the paper towel dispensers is probably hiding.
  • Someone will need to haul stuff from the storage sheds, preferably in a truck or van. Ahlwin? Brighid and Gorm? Maewyn? Valgarth?
  • There will be further discussion and follow-up at the Feast taste testing next Sunday (Aug. 3rd at 2 p.m.).

______________________________________________

August 2008

Meeting was held on Sunday, 17 August 2008 at the Trempealeau County Fairgrounds.

Officer Reports

Exchequer’s Report

  • We have about $1,590 in undedicated funds.

New Business

Event:  Autumn Rose

  • Building cleanup will take place Saturday, August 23, at 1:30 p.m.
  • We’re hearing mixed messages on Royalty.
  • No news about a licensed food vendor.
  • Morgan will make Sunday breakfast.
  • Lilith is on board to make breakfast for Saturday.
  • Only a couple merchants have committed.
  • Ahlwin can help with shed/site shuttle duty after 1 p.m. Friday.
  • Brilliana will be on site the Thursday of Autumn Rose by 1 p.m.
  • The puppet show is scheduled for noon.
  • The Equestrians’ Emprise Tournament is set for 1 p.m. on Saturday.
  • Feast will be at sixish, depending on Court.
  • Lucas opened the buildings for us, which were not in bad shape. We that decided a lightweight power washer would be sufficient in the Merchants building. Spot washing would suffice for the Feast Hall.

Webminister’s Note: Thanks, Kudrun, for taking notes!

____________________________________________

September 2008

Present: Failend, Brilliana, Kudrun, Elie, Caesarea, Berold, Amata

The meeting was held at the La Crosse Public Library, Main Branch on Sunday, 21 September 2008. Amata called the meeting to order.

Officer Reports

Arts and Sciences

  • A sheet was passed around for attendees to note their recent A&S projects/activities.
  • Failend suggested holding A&S gatherings jointly with Coille Stromeil once a month at her home. Brilliana concurred and gave advice.
  • The A&S 50 Challenge meet-up at Autumn Rose was a success. The Challege is spreading mostly by word of mouty rather than formal announcement.
  • Discussion of using rusty loaner armor on a quintain as a fund-raiser.
  • Elie noted that Art-ic Madness is in two weeks.

New Business

Event:  Autumn Rose – Post-mortem

  • Maewyn, via Brilliana, reported that we made between $600 – $800. Feast sold out.
  • Maewyn will not be Feast Steward again until their son is older.
  • Silver has volunteered to be Feast Steward next year. However, all present agreed that the Feastocrat should be local, particularly for attending meetings.
  • The sample (a.k.a. “practice”) Feast should be held earlier.
  • Maewyn generously covered the non-member surcharge, since the Silent Auction proceeds were not enough to cover the difference.
  • Feast cost was about $560. Maewyn has the receipts.
  • Brilliana states that a co-Autocrat is needed. If not one else will, she’ll aid Bronislava and be aided in turn the year after that. A help sheet would have been nice. Kudrun noted that it’s on the Yahoo group documents.
  • Amata formally moved to officially make Bronislava the Autocrat for 2009 Autumn Rose. Brilliana seconds, and the vote is unanimous.
  • T-Bones is unavailable for 2009. Knights of Columbus could be an alternative. Could we work with them to provide more period food?
  • The Merchant turnout was very low, due to spike in fuel costs.
  • Mystic Dragon has already volunteered to do Security yet again next year, but they have requested more help. It was agreed that they should have it.
  • Ralic volunteered to be Marshal in 2009.
  • There was no written add this year. We need to set prices sooner.
  • Toilet paper ran out in the bathrooms. Brilliana took care of it on those occasions when she was informed of it. One attendee was irate about it. Humorous solutions suggested.
  • Servers should be trained to pour above the glass.
  • Discussion of a pirate encampment. Brilliana has already dealt with the matter.
  • For the Bardic Circle, it was good to have a fire again, but some felt the circle to be a private space rather than a public place.
  • Much of the preparation was “hurry up and wait.” Scheduling should be tighter with Lucas and in general.
  • Ralic would like room for more melee next year.
  • Discussion of using a Castle Siege as focus for fighting, archery and demo. Cardboard or cloth castle? Painted cloth with a PVC frame would be easier to store, and not heart-breaking if demolished.
  • Kudrun set a 50 by 50th Challenge to help spruce up A.R. Failend’s banners, the Castle Siege and token-making would all count.
  • Discussion of tokens for next year. We have time for handmade beads on handspun string. Beads could be glass or ceramic.

Webminister’s Note: Another big thanks to Kudrun for taking notes when I couldn’t attend the meeting.

________________________________________________

October 2008

Present: Maewyn, Alois, Brilliana, Elie, Kudrun, Casarea, Ariella

The meeting was called to order by Brilliana at 2:10 p.m. at the La Crosse Public Library, Main Branch on Sunday, 19 October 2008.

Introduction for benefit of Casarea, digression into SCA name spelling.

Officer Reports

Arts and Sciences

  • Hasn’t done anything since AR. The colder weather should encourage folks to stay in and get stuff done.
  • Kudrun revived the idea of 50 for 50 challenge with an eye of sprucing up Autumn Rose:
    • Banners and signage are the obvious targets.
    • Kudrun mentioned interesting online chat about site token ideas.
    • Ariella wet-blanketed with the question of how much room we have in the storage shed, which led to the following points:
      • Kudrun and Brilliana brought up the idea of cleaning house.
      • Practice armor quintain for charity idea.
      • Loaner garb has aleady been triaged by Arnora.
      • Deferring shed housekeeping until Spring.
  • Kudruns’ “sawed rocks” from the lapidary class she was just at.
  • A & S list sent around.

Exchequer

  • We made $867.67 on the event, including what we know is still due. The Feast accounted for $425 of that profit.
  • The checking acount has a balance of $909.05. Again, this takes into account the checks that need to be written today.
  • We have a pre-reg for someone we know didn’t show up at the event; general consensus to mail it back rather than deposit it and write a check.

Thrown Weapons Marshal

  • The Thrown Weapons tournament didn’t happen at Autumn Rose because his substitute couldn’t make it.
  • Local practice won’t happen until spring.

Webminister

  • Nothing new to report.
  • Quote of the meeting:  ”You don’t know HTML, do you?”  ”Yes, and I even know about the other 22 letters of the alphabet.”

New Business

Event:  Autumn Rose – 2009

  • AR Autocrat of 2009 not present; Brilliana has already had a handoff meeting.
  • The big issue is T-Bones not being available: Two possibilities for food vendors to follow up on.
  • Brilliana and Bronislava discussed what went right, what went wrong with this year’s event.
  • Lady Silver has volunteered to be Feast Steward, as has a combination of Vitaliano and Angus.
  • Given that all of three folks are outside the Shire, the communication problems are a concern. The bottom line is that the Feastocrat and the Autocrat–in particularly the former–has to show up at meetings.
  • The question of asking one of the food vendors–encouraging them to making it period.
  • The idea of asking another group to step in holds the same communication issues as well as the funds issue.
  • Kudrun brought up the idea of a feast stew–sort of an extension of the soup usually available at Porter Friday night.
  • Brilliana launched the discussion of a “groaning board” potluck, except that it’s the group members who individually supply the foods:
    • Maewyn has many, many recipes he could share if people need ideas or are squeamish about winging it.
    • A big limitation, as Maewyn pointed out, is the equipment–cooking things ahead of time is preferred–but we will need to make sure that folks are not fighting over equipment for dishes that need to be reheated.
    • The budget would also need to be coordinated so that each dish has a budget.
    • Buffet serving will require servers for portioning food so that we don’t run out before the last group is served.
    • A set time for showing up, rather than a time-range will allow for things like the Bard of Rokeclif contest, scheduling Court and so forth.
    • The groaning board seems to have lost out in favor of a buffet feast.
    • Elie suggested making a competition out of it for those cooking.

Other New Business

  • November meeting will be in the Party Room – Potluck
  • December meeting–also potluck–at Cybele and DT’s (Heritage Village) Kudrun will ask Cybele if she’s okay with having directions for our house posted.
  • Coille Stoirmeil has asked us to provide lunch for That Moot Thingie, and we’ve put them off so many times. Feb 6th – 8th Maewyn had already done a lunch for them with three hearty soups and has the recipes. He will be in the throes of tax season, but he is willing to share the recipes, if folks are interested in making it. He may be able to make some ahead of time and freeze it.
  • In addition to prep, we need someone to stand guard over serving.
  • Doing a Snit could be a tad crazy if we do lunch for TMT:  Buffalo pie snit, chicken snit ideas floated about anyway.
  • Kudrun opening the floor to brilliant ideas for recruiting members:
    • Raiding Jaravellir (a la The Welsh Border Song) didn’t get much traction.
    • Elie’s observation about the demo event he just attended.
    • Instead of looking for people interested in medieval garb, why not go for the medieval angle for folks who are into something else–food, music. Brilliana talked about PBS phone banking.
    • Going to medievally themed movies in garb.
    • Brilliana’s school history week kind of thing.
    • Business cards.
    • Just showing up anywhere in garb–Barnes and Noble, Rivoli.

Digression into mostly A & S stuff before Brilliana officially called the meeting to a close at 3:53 p.m.

______________________________________________

November 2008

Present: Amata, Bronislava, GAvin, Maewyn, Alois, Silver

The meeting was called to order by Amata at 1:52 p.m. at Bronislava’s home on Sunday, 17 November 2008. (A last-minute relocation from the Party Room had to be made b/c the stove and refrigerator have been removed from that room and this was supposed to be a potluck meeting.) In default of the headachey Webminister, Bronislava took up both pen and her drop-dead-deputy-for-45-minutes role.

Officer Reports

Arts and Sciences

  • Has moved out of the Shire, but we reported verbally anyway:
    • Kudrun showed off her “Tournaments Illuminated”t-shirt. (She was published! Woo-Hoo!!!)
    • Gavin did some kumihimo.
    • Everybody cooked.

Chiurgeon

  • Gavin received his report from the deputy for Autumn Rose.
  • Nothing happened at A.R. after Gavin had to leave.
  • He did, however, have one twisted ankle, and will have to restock the bag accordingly.

Exchequer

  • The figures reported in last month’s Birch were only the spendable funds:  The actual balance is $3297.19.
  • The third quarter report went in.
  • Some explanation of dedicated funds was made.
  • The motion was made to reimburse Gavin for the Party Room rental of $10, despite the fact that we had to relocate because the amenities disappeared.

Herald

  • Amata’s device is about ready to submit – she knows how to do the paperwork.

Marshal (channeling through the aether…)

  • Coille Stoirmeil is having fight practice (both kinds) in November. So is Silfren Mere.

Seneschal

  • We lost two officers this month.
  • Amata was sent to the kitchen and duly voted as a real, live Herald, rather than the stunt (book) Herald. (She has officially been thrown to the Dark Side [insert evil laughter].)
  • Silver (also in the kitchen) will be our Chatelaine when her address changes to La Crosse.

New Business

That Moot Thingy (a.k.a. TMT)

  • The Shire will do lunch to help Coille Stoirmeil.
  • Kudrun will cook a pot o’ dead critter. She will need warm bodies. (For serving, silly! What did you think we meant???)

Event:  Autumn Rose – 2009

  • Bronislava will do a shout-out for tourneys:  Arts and Sciences, Melee, archery etc. Duct tape A & S for the fighters. A Chiurgeon tourney was discussed with great relish.
  • Byle has been wanting to do Feast. Bronislava will try to contact him. If not, Silver will do a Middle Eastern Feast, with perhaps a Crusade/Jihad theme that could be applied to the entire event.
  • Amata will hold an A & S 50 Challenge meeting.
  • Bronislava suggested a choir concert.

Other New Business

  • The ne…. (long squiggly line of ink suggests that Bronislava’s 45-minute term has expired.) Amata takes up the pen.
  • More members would be helpful. We talked of a possible UW-La Crosse link. The question is how to educate teachers that we’re not goofy/frivolous. Elie had suggested (via email) reaching out to non-History teachers.

The meeting devolved into potluck, which was a Very Good Thing.

Webminister’s Note: Many thanks to Bronislava and Amata for taking such thorough notes!

_______________________________

December 2008

Present: Cyb, D.T., Frosty the Snowman, Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer, Jack Frost, Suzie Snowflake, and the guy who wrote “Let it Snow”.

Absent:  Everybody else.

Since winter pummeled us on Saturday, leaving all roads in Wisconsin “slippery and snow packed”, and four officers had previous engagements, I reluctantly called off the December meeting.  We’re working on two items so far – Autumn Rose (no emergency yet) and lunch for That Moot Thingy on February 8.

Next meeting will be January 18, at Wedgewood Commons. We’ll try for the meeting room, but if the stove and fridge are still missing we’ll head to Bronisláva’s apartment instead. Party room in Wedgewood Commons is 1935 Miller Street. Full directions may be found on the Rokeclif website under the “local calendar” tab.  There’s a map below. (The party room is on the second floor of a locked building. We’ll post a lookout.)  Bring food – snacky things or a full meal. We’re not fussy.